How to Make Hot Dog Pie
Hot dog pie has been a favorite dish in my family for many years. It is great for camping trips, holiday dinners, and other special occasions. Hot dog pie is quite easy to make, even if you (like me) have no cooking skills whatsoever. With assistance from my mom (and her 1968 edition of “Pilsbury’s Bake Off Main Dish Cookbook”) I have compiled the following instructions for how to make some delicious hot dog pie.
What You’ll Need
- 2 packages crescent rolls (we use the Pilsbury brand)
- 1 package little beef smokies (We use Hilshire Farm)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 ounce pack mozzarella cheese
- 1 pie pan, 9.5 inches
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 cutting board
- 1 knife
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
2. Unroll one package of crescent rolls into one rectangular dough using the cutting board.
3. Put the dough into the pie pan.
4. Put the beef smokies and the mozzarella cheese into the mixing bowl.
5. Pour the beaten egg into the bowl. Mix everything up.
6. Pour the contents of the bowl onto the pie crust.
7. Unroll the second pack of crescent rolls. Roll the dough on the cutting board.
8. Use a knife to cut the dough into strips. Place them on top of the pie crust mixture.
9. Cut some more strips and place them so that they criss cross with the previously placed strips.
10. Put the pie in the oven until the top is golden brown (about 45-50 minutes of cooking time).
We hope that you will give hot dog pie a try. It is remarkably simple to make and requires minimal effort compared to most other pies. Perhaps you should make some for the next time that you are hosting family and friends. They are sure to be impressed!