MORE Delicious Homemade Donuts Recipes
Here are more recipes for easy, homemade donuts that anyone can make. Although donuts are not difficult to make you do need some equipment and tips for success
Tips for Perfect Donuts.
- Cut the dough straight down, without twisting, to ensure that the donuts are light and flaky.
- Use a soft dough, chilling as needed to facilitate cutting.
- An electric fryer is not essential but it does make it easier to keep your oil at a constant temperature. Choose a square one over a round one because you will be able to get more in it without crowding.
- If you are using a pot on top of the stove for frying you, use a heavy stockpot and a candy/frying thermometer.
- If you are not allergic to peanuts, peanut oil is the best oil to fry in.
- Be sure not to overload the fryer as it will cool the oil too much and your donuts will be soggy.
- Turn the donuts as they float to the top and the undersides begin to be a golden brown.
- Use clean oil in the fryer. There is nothing worse than fried fish flavored donuts!
A light, sweet donut with a hearty maple flavor.
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 ½ c lukewarm, whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c unsalted butter, melted and allowed to brown slightly
- 2 tsp. maple flavoring
- 5 cups flour
- Maple Glaze (recipe follows)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Dissolve the yeast in the water in a mixer bowl. Let stand until frothy.
- Add the milk, sugar, salt eggs, butter, and two cups of the flour. Beat until well blended.
- Beat in the remaining flour until it is smooth.
- Cover and let rise for one hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured counter. Roll gently to ½ inch thick.
- Cut with donut cutter and allow to rise for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil to 360F.
- Fry donuts about 1 to 1 ½ minutes on each side until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Spread with maple glaze and sprinkle with pecans.
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp. maple extract
- 2 Tbs pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbs melted butter
Mix well and spread on donuts.
Chocolate Donut Recipe
Chocolatey cake donuts that are perfect with coffee or a glass of cold milk.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Beat the sugar and butter well. Add the egg and beat.
- Add the flour flour mixture alternately with the milk.
- Stir until dough forms a ball and then turn out on a floured countertop.
- Knead lightly.
- Roll ¼ inch thick and cut with a floured donut cutter.
- Fry at 360F until done, turning once.
- Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar or granulated sugar.
A tropical flavor is perfect for anytime. If you like Mounds bars try covering the donut with a chocolate glaze.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbs. melted unsalted butter
- 2 1/3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Mix dry ingredients together, including coconut.
- Beat butter, milk, eggs, and sugar until well blended.
- Stir in the liquid ingredients and beat well.
- Chill for 3 hours or overnight
- Roll out ½ inch thick on a floured countertop
- Fry at 360F until golden
- Sprinkle with sugar, confectioner's sugar or spread with glaze.
3 dozen approximately
A shiny rich glaze that is perfect for donuts.
- ¼ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbs corn syrup
- 3 Tbs. butter
- ¼ tsp vanilla
Melt all ingredients together in a bowl in the microwave or in a double boiler. Stir until smooth.
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla
Mix ingredients until smooth and dip the warm donuts in the mixture.