- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
How to Make Mango or Passion Fruit Mousse (Ridiculously Easy)
I’m not much of a dessert maker, for as much as I love eating
desserts, I just don’t find the same joy in their preparation…SO, when I find a
recipe that tastes fantastic and that I can whip up in about 5 minutes of
active work – you know that’s going on the daily menu!
Both of these mousses require only about 3 or 4 ingredients, both can be made in about 10 minutes and both will keep for a few days in the fridge. Both are fruity and tropical and sweet tart – somehow walking that improbable line between rich and luscious and fruity and refreshing.
Here’s how you make em’
- 2 pounds of ripe mango
- 1 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups of heavy cream, whipped
- Sugar or lime juice, if necessary, to correct for seasoning
- Peel and stone the fruit and then puree the flesh in a blender.
- Pass this mango puree through a fine sieve to strain out any fibers and such
- Mix this mango puree with the sweetened condensed milk
- Use a whisk to whip up the cream (soft peaks). You don’t want to buy commercial ‘ready whipped’ cream stuff here, as it always has sugar (as well as other stuff) that you don’t want for this recipe.
- Fold the whipped cream gently into the mango/condensed milk mixture. You’ve got to combine it all together, but you don’t want to lose the air and lift from the cream as you do it.
- Taste, and if necessary adjust the seasoning, remembering that things taste slightly less sweet when chilled, as this will be at serving. If you think the mousse is too sour, add in a little sugar until it’s not, and if you think it’s too sweet, then add in a few squeezes of fresh lime juice, until it’s not.
- Transfer the mousse into serving bowls or small ramekins and chill for at least an hour, or for up to a few days, before serving.
Passion Fruit Mousse
- For passion fruit mousse, follow the instructions above, but substitute passion fruit juice and pulp for the mango puree.
- If using frozen pulp, measure out 1 and ½ cups and mix with the sweetened condensed milk and proceed as above.
- If using fresh passion fruits, use a sieve to press the juice and flash of the seeds until you collect 1 and a 1/2 cups, and proceed as above.
2 More Easy Desserts!
- Quick and Easy Chocolate Mousse Recipe
A very easy chocolate mousse that requires no baking, egg yolks or custard making! Delicious
- Frozen margarita pie recipe
Frozen Margarita pie This is not the kind of recipe that normally appeals to me (sadlyI'm a bit of a food snob) and recipes that make use of things like bags potato chips, or pretzels, or cans of...