- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Easy to Make Recipe: Old Fashioned Potato Soup
The next time you are craving potato soup, skip the restaurant and make it at home.
It'll be cheaper in the long run and will last longer than that $5.00 bowl.
- ¼ Cup margarine
- ¼ Large onion finely chopped
- 6 Potatoes, peeled and diced, more can be added for larger batch
- 2 Carrots, diced or shredded
- 3 Cups water, add more for larger batch
- 1 – 3 cooked strips of bacon cut into pieces
- ¼ Tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbs. Chicken bouillon
- Black Pepper
- 3 Tbs. Flour
- 3 Cups Milk
- 1 Tbs. parsley
- ¼ Tsp. Thyme
Rate this Soup
- In a large saucepan melt the butter.
- Add onions and cook over medium heat until onions are clear.
- While onions are cooking, boil the potatoes, carrots, and bouillon in the water until tender. Do not overcook.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Go back to the onions add flour and garlic powder to make a paste.
- Gradually add milk and stir well to keep from lumping.
- Stirring the onion mix consistently and add to the potato and carrot mixture.
- Stir in parsley, thyme and bacon.
- Simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve hot with a side of crackers and shredded cheese.