- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to Make Ox Tail Stew
There is nothing like a bowl of ox tail stew to satisfy that hunger. Ox tail stew is a delicious and hearty meal that can be enjoyed with mashed potatoes, pasta, couscous, rice, or your choice of grains like bulgur, amaranth, or quinoa. Sautéed veggies will go great with ox tail stew as well. Don't forget some freshly baked white bread that you can dip into the sauce from the ox tail stew. It is so good!
Ox tail stew doesn't require that many ingredients so preparation time is not time consuming at all. Once you pop the ingredients into a deep pan all you have to do is cover with the lid, place on low heat, and let it simmer for a while. The end result is a mouthwatering treat that will leave you craving for seconds.
While I don't make ox tail stew that often I love it a lot and it is a real treat for me whenever I make it. It is definitely a great alternative to a pork chop or a steak. If I had a choice out of the three dishes I'd choose ox tail stew any day. It just can't be beat!
Below is my ox tail stew recipe with easy instructions and recipe photos. Enjoy and please pass it on!
Have you tried ox tail stew before?
- 2 lbs Ox Tail
- 1 Medium Carrot
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 1 Medium Onion
- Smoked Sea Salt
- 10 Whole Black Peppers
- Place the ox tail into a bowl of water and soak for about five minutes. Then rinse under running water.
- Meanwhile peel and dice a medium onion. Wash, peel and dice a medium carrot. Wash two celery stalks and cut into slices that are neither too thick nor too thin.
- Take a deep pan and drizzle with canola oil, or whichever oil you usually cook with. Add the onion, carrot and celery you chopped in step 2. Then layout the ox tail on top of it. Add some water to the pan just enough to cover the bottom of it. Sprinkle with smoked sea salt and add some whole black peppers.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let simmer on low heat for about 1.5 hours. Once the time is up turn off the heat and let the stew sit, without removing the lid, for about fifteen minutes or so. Then open the lid and stir the contents of the pan so all the ox tail is mixed with the veggies and is covered in the sauce.
- Serve the ox tail with mashed potatoes, pasta, couscous, rice or your favorite cooked grain like bulgur, amaranth or quinoa. Sautéed veggies will go great with the ox tail as well. Don't forget the freshly baked bread to dip into the sauce. Delicious!
Instead of ox tail you can use veal tail. Prepare them in exactly the same way. They taste delicious.
There are different pans you can use when cooking the ox tail stew. I prefer to use Zepter ones. Zepter cookware has thermal control and allows for cooking without actually using water or for frying without using any fats. It allows for the food you make to retain all of its natural aromas and flavors, and it doesn't hinder the nutritional elements of the food. All the vitamins, minerals, protein, etc. that are present in the food remain there through the entire cooking process. While Zepter cookware doesn't come cheap - one piece can cost you hundreds of dollars - it is worth every penny in my opinion and I think it's the best cookware there is..
© 2013 Lena Kovadlo