How to Make Veal Oxtail Stew
There is nothing like a bowl of veal oxtail stew to satisfy that hunger. Veal oxtail stew is a delicious and hearty meal that can be enjoyed with mashed potatoes, pasta, couscous, rice, or your choice of grains like bulgur, amaranth, or quinoa. Sautéed veggies will go great with veal oxtail stew as well. Don't forget some freshly baked white bread that you can dip into the sauce from the veal oxtail. It is so good!
Veal oxtail stew doesn't require that many ingredients so preparation time is not time consuming at all. Once you pop the ingredients into a deep pan all you have to do is cover with the lid, place on low heat, and let it simmer for a while. The end result is a mouthwatering treat that will leave you craving for seconds.
While I don't make veal oxtail stew that often I love it a lot and it is a real treat for me whenever I make it. It is definitely a great alternative to a pork chop or a steak. If I had a choice out of the three dishes I'd choose veal oxtail stew any day. It just can't be beat!
Below is my recipe for veal oxtail stew with easy instructions and recipe photos. Enjoy and please pass it on!
Have you tried ox tail stew before?
- 2 lbs Veal Oxtail
- 1 Medium Carrot
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 1 Medium Onion
- Smoked Sea Salt
- 10 Peppercorns
- Place the veal oxtail into a bowl of water and soak for about five minutes. Then rinse under running water.
- Meanwhile peel and dice a medium onion. Wash, peel and dice a medium carrot. Wash two celery stalks and cut into slices that are neither too thick nor too thin.
- Take a deep pan and drizzle with grapeseed oil. Add the onion, carrot and celery you chopped in step 2. Then layout the veal oxtail on top of it. Add some water to the pan so that it covers the bottom of the pan and a little bit of the veal oxtail. Sprinkle with smoked sea salt and add the peppercorns.
- Let the pan come to a boil, then cover the pan with a lid and let simmer on low heat for about 1.5 hours. Once the time is up, turn off the heat and let the stew sit, without removing the lid, for about fifteen minutes or so. Then open the lid and stir the contents of the pan so all the veal oxtail is mixed with the veggies and is covered in the sauce.
- Serve the veal oxtail with mashed potatoes, pasta, couscous, rice or your favorite cooked grain like bulgur, amaranth or quinoa. Sautéed veggies will go great with the veal oxtail as well. Don't forget the freshly baked bread to dip into the sauce. Delicious!
Instead of veal oxtail you can use regular oxtail. Prepare them in exactly the same way. They taste delicious.
There are different pots and pans you can use when cooking the veal oxtail stew. I prefer to use Zepter ones. Zepter cookware has thermal control and allows for cooking without actually using water or for frying without using any fats. It allows for the food you make to retain all of its natural aromas and flavors, and it doesn't hinder the nutritional elements of the food. All the vitamins, minerals, protein, etc. that are present in the food remain there through the entire cooking process. While Zepter cookware doesn't come cheap - one piece can cost you hundreds of dollars - it is worth every penny in my opinion and I think it's the best cookware there is..
© 2013 Lena Kovadlo