How to Make Parmesan Crackers (Wafers)
These are, bar none, the best possible garnish for any number of soups and salads. They are ridiculously easy to make but will always impress and you’ll never have to worry about dealing with leftovers.
Since there are only a couple of ingredients (or maybe only 1) make sure to use good quality parmesan cheese for this – pre grated stuff, is unfortunately as tasteless as it is convenient! Get a wedge of real parmigiano reggiano and a good fine cheese grater or microplane and you’ll never go back to the powdered stuff again.
Paremsan Wafers (Tuiles)
- Heat your oven to 350
- Finely grate some parmesan cheese. 2 ounces of grated parmesan will make about 12 3 inch wafers – so grate as much as you need for the quantity you intend to serve. (make sure to use freshly grated (in shreds) parmesan for this recipe
- Lay some parchment paper on a baking sheet (or you can use a silpat non sick sheet) and then make little mounds of cheese on the parchment paper, each mound containing about 1 Tbls of parmesan cheese. Squish each mound down into a circle shape that is about 2-3 inches round. Leave about an inch between each circle to allow for any additional spreading.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and they have turned golden brown and then remove from the oven. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Take the wafers out of the oven and allow them to cool on the pan. Once cooled, they will be firm and will peel easily from the parchment paper – they are now ready for use.
Try these as a garnish for your next soup or salad or even on their own, as a great before dinner nibble!
These can be made a couple of days in advance and stored between layers of wax paper, in a covered container.
More Garnish Ideas
- 8 Easy ways to garnish your food. (No special skills...
I like to play with the look of my food sometimes, especially on special occasions such as party and romantic dinner. Fruit and vegetables carving can be used to make beautiful food decorating items, but...
- Food Presentation and Garnishing Techniques
Presentation is a very crucial part of every dish; you do not have to be a master chef of five star rated hotels to create the same class effect. Here are some easy to follow tips that will make a simple dish enticing and appealing for your guests. M