- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
How to Make Pralines
For those that love pecans the praline is the perfect candy. Like all candy recipes pralines take a little patience and precision but when you're down you'll have a tasty sweet treat.
- 2 Cups brown sugar
- 3/4 Cup cream
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Cups whole pecans
What You'll Need
You can't make candy without a candy thermometer! Okay, you can, but I don't recommend it. Getting your candy to the right stage of consistency is crucial to the temperature the ingredients are heated to and removed from heat at. Any cooking thermometer will do. Below I've linked a digital thermometer that works for meat, water and of course, candy. A more simple, physical thermometer will work just as well. If you don't have a cooking thermometer yet you should definitely consider it.
- In a heavy saucepan combine brown sugar, cream, butter and salt over medium heat.
- Stir the mixture constantly until the sugar dissolves.
- Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture registers 236 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer.
- When the mixture is the right temperature remove from heat and let it cool until it's lukewarm or about 110 degrees.
- Beat the mixture until it thickens and loses its glossy appearance.
- Stir in nuts.
- Drop candy in patties by the spoonful onto a buttered cookie sheet.