How to Make Salad Dressing
It's so Easy, You'll be Kicking Yourself for not Making Your Own Home Made Salad Dressing Years Ago!
I learnt how to make this delicious French-style salad dressing from my father. He was a great gourmet, and loved his food, and I can see him now, adding a bit of this and a bit of that to make up this aromatic salad dressing or vinaigrette.
Home-Made Salad Dressing
If you Normally use Mayonnaise at Home, you are in for a Pleasant Surprise When you try this French Salad Dressing
Naturally I have my own version, and doubtless, once you have learned how to make it, you will add your own embellishments - that's what's so good about cookery - it's a living, progressing art form, and you are about to be swept up in it, to create wonderful salads, just to your own taste.
Ingredients for making a salad dressing at home:
Precise measurements are not essential for this recipe, so, although the ideal is to fill your salad dressing pourer with a mixture of half olive oil and half vinegar, you may choose to use more vinegar and less oil, for dietary reasons, or more oil and less vinegar, because you've run out of vinegar - see what I mean?
French Salad Dressing - the Finished Product
The Main ingredients:
- You will need sufficient olive oil and vinegar to fill or half-fill your salad dressing pourer.
- I use balsamic vinegar which I only discovered about five years ago, but you can use ordinary malt vinegar and it will still taste good. Balsamic vinegar tastes slightly sweeter and more aromatic than malt vinegar, but is a lot more expensive
- 1/2 teaspoon of Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of Salt (optional)
- A few drops of Worcestershire Sauce (optional)
- A few drops of Soy Sauce (optional)
- A sprig of Thyme or a few Basil leaves and/or a sprig of Rosemary
- 1 or 2 cloves of Garlic
- A few crushed Chili seeds or a tiny Chili (optional)
- A squeeze of Lemon Juice (optional)
Method for Making Salad Dressing:
- Pour the oil and vinegar into the Salad Dressing bottle.
- Stir the mustard, sugar and a little of the vinegar in a small dish or egg cup.
- Optionally you can add a good squeeze of lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoonful of salt, a few drops of Worcestershire Sauce and or Soy Sauce.
- When well mixed, pour them into the bottle.
- Peel and crush the garlic, and cut it up into small pieces.
- Add the garlic and herbs (including a very small amount of chili if you like a slightly piquant flavour) to the bottle, put the stopper in, and, holding the stopper in place, shake the bottle vigorously to mix the ingredients.
NB: The oil always rises to the top - this is quite normal, so the salad dressing bottle always needs to be shaken up immediately before use.
You'll need a Salad Dressing Bottle like this:
You can Add Your Rating to this Salad Dressing Recipe
Take This Poll About Salad Topping and See How You Measure up Against Other Pollsters
How do you like your salad?
More Foody "How-to's":
- How to Make Easy Stuffed Eggplant or Aubergine
An easy recipe for crispy, aromatic Baked Stuffed Aubergine - a delicious vegetarian dish,which you can use for a starter, a main course, or as an accompaniment to meat
- How to Cook Vegetables - Onions
When I first left home, I didn't have any idea how to cook - I was brought up in Africa in a household with a cook, and was barely allowed in the kitchen at all, in case I got in his way. So getting married in England and having to learn cookery...
- How to Cook Vegetables - Potatoes, Carrots, Swedes a...
How to Cook Vegetables Properly - Part 2 in my Series - Potatoes, Carrots, Swedes and Parsnips. Many people think cooking is difficult, but actually there are many quick and easy meals. Here's how to cook vegetables carrots, potatoes, swedes and pars
- Learn How to Cook Vegetables - Cabbage, Brussels Spr...
If you have just started living on your own, there may be times when you know roughly how to cook greens, but you are not too sure of the timing. Green vegetables are high in vitamins, but if they are over-cooked, the vitamins leach out into the...
- 3 Ways to Pick a Great Balsamic Vinegar. How to Know Which Balsamic Is Going to Taste Great!
3 ways to choose a great balsamic vinegar at the supermarket. How to know which of the hundreds of bottles of Modena Balsamic is worth the money!
Finally, I can't resist a joke which my father taught me:
Question: Why did the lobster blush?
Answer: Because it saw the salad dressing