How to Make Sri Lankan Plain Hoppers and Egg Hoppers
Delicious Hoppers: Only in Sri Lanka
Sri Lankan hoppers are made out of rice flour and coconut milk which are abundant in Sri Lanka. This is eaten by the Sri Lankans for centuries and today it has developed into a fusion dish. This is normally eaten in the breakfast or dinner times.
Hoppers is only in Sri Lanka and it is one of the delicacies you should try if you ever travel to Sri Lanka. There is a complete article on all Sri Lankan delicacies one must try.
Hoppers are served everywhere in Sri Lanka from the small shop in roadside to the 5 star rated restaurant. Hoppers are having a very soft fluffy middle part and a crispy edge in a circle shape.
Evolve from plain hoppers to other different types of hoppers
Apart from the plain hoppers, you can find few other versions of hoppers such as egg hoppers, milk hoppers, honey hoppers , savory hoppers and etc.
- Plain Hoppers – Cooked with just the plain original hopper batter
- Egg Hoppers – An egg, pinch of salt and pepper is poured into the center of the soft hopper and cook
- Milk Hoppers –A sweetened condensed milk is poured onto the center of the hopper and cook.
- Honey Hoppers – Mix the hopper batter with some honey until you get a brown color batter and cook the hopper in a usual way
- Savory Hoppers – Add an egg with a mix of bell papers cut into small squares, chopped onions chopped green chilles, tomato cut into small pieces, pinch of salt and pepper. You can also add some pieces of cooked chicken, shrimp or any other meat you like and make it more filling and healthier.
- Nutella Hoppers – Make the plain hoppers in the usual way and apply Nutella while the hopper is hot and fold it like a wrap. I have added a banana on top of the Nutella spread and rolled. Kids love it and ask more and more.
- Cheese Hoppers – Make the plain hopper and when its halfway done sprinkle some grated cheese on top of the hopper and it will give you cheese hoppers.
Egg hoppers.. Yum!
How to Make Plain Hoppers at Home
- 400g Rice flour, You can buy the hopper mix from the store
- 5g Yeast
- 2 Tea spoons Sugar
- 100 ml Water
- 200 ml Coconut milk
- 1 tea spoon Salt
- Hopper pan (Non Stick for better and easy results)
- Mix yeast, sugar and water and set it aside for 10 minutes
- Mix the rice four, yeast mixture, water and coconut milk. Make sure to mix thoroughly and not to have any lumps.
- Close the mixture properly and let it season for 4 hours a minimum.
- After 4 hours, the mixture will be double the size.
- Add the salt and give it a good stir.
- Heat the hopper pan and once its ready add about 30 ml of the batter and make sure you turn the hopper pan such that the batter will cover the whole pan and a little bit of the batter stays in the middle eventually which forms the soft center. Check the video.
- Close the lid and cook it for 30- 50 seconds in medium heat.
- Use your spatula and take the hopper from the pan and enjoy hot!
Consistency of the Rice Flour & Coconut Milk Batter
Batter is swirled along the pan and an egg is poured on to the middle. Close the lid and cook 1 minute in medium heat.
Hopper with Cooked chiken, bell paper,onion, tomato and cheese. Heavenly Delicious.
Accompaniments for Hoppers
Sri Lankans eat hoppers with Chille Sambol (Grinded paste of shallots, red chile, salt and lime), chicken curry or fish curry. Sour fish curry and tender jack fruit curry also tastes great with hoppers.
Some people who are fond of sweet teeth like to eat it with juggery and a banana.
What goes tasty with Hoppers
Hoppers tastes best with?
- The 2 main ingredients used in hoppers are rice flour and coconut milk. Rice flour is having high fiber and many times better than eating wheat flour and contains all the minerals and carbohydrates one needs on their diet.
- Coconut milk has lot of health benefits and its good for your immune system, bones, hair and skin. Further coconut milk and coconut oil are cholesterol free. Coconut oil is considered as the best oil in the world as per the latest researches done in year 2014.
- This recipe does not contain any processed items, addictive, coloring or any unhealthy ingredients and making your kids eat rice in a different way.
- You can improvise your own version of hoppers by adding vegetables, meat or fish inside the hopper and make it healthier for your kids.
Share your version with others.
© 2015 Thish