How to Make Sweet Potato Gratin
* How to roast a Garlic Bulb...
Using a sharp knife, cut the top only off of a whole garlic bulb so that all the cloves are exposed still in their skin. Keeping the bulb whole, dip in olive oil and then season with salt & pepper. Place the bulb cut side up on a baking sheet lined with foil and bake at 350 degrees for fifteen minutes or until the top of the cloves start to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and carefully squeeze the bottom of the bulb (caution - the bulb will be hot!) until the individual cloves pop out of their skin. If necessary, continue roasting for a few minutes until perfectly roasted.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 whole bulb roasted garlic *
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup manufacturing cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. crushed fennel seed
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley
- Preparing the Sweet Potatoes - Using a vegetable peeler or paring knife, peel the sweet potatoes completely. Then slice into 1/4" slices on a mandoline. Hold the slices in a bucket of cold water until ready to assemble the gratin. Refer to video if unsure how to use a mandoline.
- Preparing the Cream - In a medium sauce pan, saute the minced shallots in a tbsp. of olive oil until they start to turn translucent. Add the chicken stock, manufacturing cream, roasted garlic cloves and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, remove the bay leaf and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Assembling the Gratin - Drain the sweet potato slices in a colander. In a 9" x 13" glass baking dish, arrange a layer of sweet potato slices then top with 1/3 of the mozzarella and 1/3 of the parmesan. Ladle 1/3 of the cream over the potato/cheese layer making sure to distribute some of the roasted garlic cloves. Repeat these steps two more times so that you get three layers of sweet potato slices separated by the cheese and the cream. Sprinkle the top with the crushed fennel seed and paprika.
- Bake the Gratin - Tightly cover the gratin with aluminum foil making sure to tent the center to avoid contact with cheese. Allow at least a 1" tent to allow for the gratin to "expand" without touching the foil. Cook on the center shelf of a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes then remove the foil. Continue cooking for another 20 minutes then remove from the oven. If desired, cook the last 3 minutes under a broiler to brown up the top. Allow the gratin to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving to allow it to set up. Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
Visit some of my other great recipe hubs!
- How to make Perfect Hollandaise - Great on Eggs Benedict, Asparagus and Poached Salmon, this recipe includes helpful videos and tips to assure you success!
- How to make Perfect Demi-Glace - This is a great hub if you've ever wanted to make Demi-Glace at home. This easy to follow recipe is based on the classic Escoffier recipe taught to students throughout the world at Cordon Bleu certified schools.
- How to make Perfect Pesto - Who doesn't love Pesto? Here's a recipe you can make at home in your blender or food processor in a matter of minutes! This hub also talks about the benefits of using a Mortar & Pestle, and provides handy links to shop for the right one.
- Steamed Mussels in Garlic Saffron Broth - Truly, one of my favorite recipes. Mussels were one of the first things I ever learned how to cook, and this recipe was perfected over decades of experimenting with freshly caught Pacific Black Mussels.
- How to make Perfect Meatballs - Try this authentic Sicilian recipe the next time you're in the mood for meatballs! This hub also includes some great tips for avoiding dried-out meatballs, and links to some great Italian cookbooks. Salud!
- Cream of Roasted Butternut Squash Soup - One of my signature soups. This recipe can be served hot or cold, and is sure to be the best squash soup you'll ever taste!
- Creamy Champagne Viniagrette - This easy to make viniagrette goes great as a dressing or a marinade, and is needed to make the Perfect Portobello Mushroom Appetizer. I gaurantee you'll love this one!
- Chef Delaney's Perfect BBQ Spice Rub - Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, but here's my secret spice rub recipe. Alright, I guess you can tell your friends and family... but that's it! This rub goes great on anything you want to throw on the grill and is easy to make. Try this on ribs with my famous Smoked Peach and Chipotle BBQ Sauce and be prepared to be impressed!
- Smoked Peach and Chipotle BBQ Sauce - Another Chef Delaney signature recipe, this sauce combines sweet, spicy and smoky flavors in perfect harmony to create a grilling sauce with just the right amount of stickiness, and a one of a kind flavor that will boost you from Backyard Chef to Grill-Master in no time!
Be sure to visit Chef Delaney's Online Kitchen Supply Store for the best deals on the best products! Click HERE!