- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
How to Make The Perfect Omelette
Omelette folded over
Learn How to Cook an Omelette - a Quick and Easy Recipe Suitable for Beginners
There is a lot of mystique about how to cook an omelet, but really, making a perfect omelette is easy, and if Jamie Oliver and I can make an omelette, so can you.
Learn the secret of omelette making, and you can then ring the changes with different fillings, to suit your taste and mood. I will tell you how to make a fluffy omelette, a pale omelette, a dark omelette, a cheese omelette, mushroom omelette and one or two which I have devised to suit my own taste, which includes ingredients such as tomatoes, garlic, onion and herbs. You might also want to add salt and pepper at an early stage, but I usually leave people to add their own, when the perfect omelet is on their plate.
Utensils You Will Need For Making an Omelet
- Small Frying Pan preferably non-stick
- Dessert spoon and Tablespoon for measuring
- Egg Whisk (or fork)
- Turner (or Fish Lift)
- Mixing Bowl
This Small Frying Pan is Ideal for Making an Omelet
This is a suitable omelette pan
Ingredients for Cheese Omelette
- 2 or 3 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Cold Water
- 1 Dessert Spoon Olive Oil
- 1 or 2 Dessert Spoons Cheddar Cheese, Or other similar cheese
The Secret of Cooking a Perfect Omelette:
Always make sure the cooking oil is very hot - slightly smoking - before you pour in the egg mixture, so that the omelette cooks quickly for a second, and then turn down the heat to finish it off
Omelette Mixture in the Frying Pan
Instructions for Making Cheese Omelette
- Assemble together all the equipment needed for the omelet, including a plate standing by to receive the omelet, as you will need split-second timing to ensure that the omelette is turned out of the pan as soon as it is cooked, to avoid burning.
- Grate the cheese.
- Heat the oil in the pan,and swirl it around until it just starts to smoke, ensuring that the base is completely covered in oil.
- Whilst the oil is heating up, break the eggs into a bowl, add water and whisk the mixture. If you like a slightly heavy omelette, whisk the eggs so that the yolks are only just combined with the egg whites, leaving the mixture still slightly streaky. If you want to make a fluffy omelette, whisk the egg mixture until it is frothy.
- Pour the egg mixture into the smoking frying pan and tip or stir the pan so that the mixture covers the base completely. Then turn down the heat and keep dragging the partly set eggs into the middle, using the turner and tipping the pan so that the liquid spreads out to the edges and cooks evenly all over.
- When the egg mixture starts solidifying, but is still slightly runny, sprinkle the cheese evenly over just one half of the omelette. Scrape the turner round the side of the pan briefly, to ensure the omelette is not sticking, then, whilst it is still slightly loose, fold the half of the omelette which does not have cheese on it over the half that has got cheese, and continue cooking, allowing it to solidify slightly.
- If you want a pale creamy-yellow omelette, tip it almost immediately out of the pan onto a plate (you can either slide the omelette out with the turner, or flip it over like a pancake). Serve straight away, whilst it is all puffed up and before it has time to sink down. If you want a pale brown omelette, just continue cooking until it browns, and then turn it out onto a plate .
Now You Know the Basic Technique for Making an Omelette
So Let's try a Mushroom Omelette:
The quantity is for one omelette, but if cooking for several people, just increase the quantity of mushrooms accordingly.
- Slice 3 or 4 small mushrooms and fry them in butter or olive oil.
- Follow the instructions above for making an omelette, adding the cooked mushrooms instead of cheese.
- You might also like to try cooking a sliced tomato in with the mushrooms, for a tomato and mushroom omelette, which I think is very tasty. Or add cheese as well.
- Sometimes I add garlic and or herbs to my omelette - you could use basil, mixed herbs, parsley, chives or thyme, for instance. Now is your chance to be creative.
Onions, Tomatoes and Herbs
How to Make Onion, Tomato and Cheese Omelette
Use the same method as you would for making cheese omelette but this time fry the filling before you start cooking the omelette, because onion takes a little longer to cook than the other ingredients.
Chop half a small onion into small pieces, Fry it in a saucepan with a little olive oil, add a clove of finely chopped garlic, and a roughly chopped tomato, and add a pinch of any dried or fresh green herbs that you have in your kitchen.
Add a tablespoon of the mixture to your omelette, spreading it over one side, and sprinkle some grated cheese over it. Then fold the empty half of the omelette over, to enclose the mixture. Cook as for the cheese omelette.
Add a Little Chili
Onion and Garlic
Now, That You've Mastered the Perfect Omelette, Let the Fun Begin
You can start to be bold and creative and make up your own ideas for omelette fillings. You could add one or more of the following:
- a little chili - but be careful, you don't want the strong flavour to hide the taste of more delicate flavours.
- smoked salmon
- finely chopped cooked bacon
- chopped onions, spring onions or chives
I love Eggy Peggies - I expect I eat too many!
How many eggs a week do you eat?
The Perfect Omelette
Links to More Articles you Might Like
- Quick and Easy Mushroom Risotto Recipe
How to make a cheap and healthy meal which is really tasty. Risotto, meaning Rice, is a traditional Italian dish and you will learn here a method for cooking rice the Italian way. Traditionally Porcini Mushrooms are used as they have a strong flavor.
- What Are The Different Types Of Edible Mushrooms and How Do You Use Them?
Lots of information and photos about mushrooms
- How to Defrost Your Freezer Quickly
Do you dread defrosting your freezer because it's messy and takes hours, whilst you hang about waiting for it, unable to go out because you need to mop up and worrying about your food unfreezing? Here's how to defrost it in under half an hour.