- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
How to Make Brilliant Tie-Dye Cupcakes! Yum!
These are a huge hit with kids (and the grown-ups). First they see the tie-dyed frosting and then they peel the cupcake wrapper and to find the ENTIRE cupcake is tie-dyed! Instantly add awesomeness to your mommy or daddy baking “street cred”. In my house, daddy stays far-far away from most anything resembling cooking. But I know of some pretty awesome daddy-o cooks (my own dad is one heck of a baker) so for all the moms and dads that feel inclined…. Here’s a great recipe to try out! Pssssttt…. it’s easy too!
Note: I only used 1 box for 24 cupcakes and I didn’t think they came out “fluffy” enough. Therefore, I am recommending two boxes and changing the yield by about half of what the box states. If you needed 12 cupcakes, you can use 1 box and 2 containers of frosting… just an FYI!
- 2 boxes WHITE Cake Mix*, any kind
- 4 cannisters WHITE Frosting, any kind
- 1 multipack Food Coloring Dyes, I prefer Wilton gels - but any kind
- 1 box Quart or Gallon sized Ziploc bags
- Cupcake Pans
- Cupcake Liners
- Frosting/Pastry Bag, 12 or 16 inch
- Frosting Tip and Coupler, 2D tip
- *other ingredients listed on box, eggs, water, oil, etc
Cupcake & Frosting Instructions
- Prepare your cupcake mix in a large bowl according to the box’s instructions. Don’t forget to preheat your oven.
- Once you have your mixture ready you are going to divide it evenly between 6 Ziploc bags. (You can also use bowls but I found bags are much easier.) Divide the white cupcake batter evenly by the ½ cupful between your six Ziploc bags until batter is completely and evenly distributed.
- Then, using your food coloring, mix the coloring into each bag, a different color for each. I used the following: blue, red/pink, purple, yellow, orange and green. Move the air out of the bag and seal completely before squishing your bag to mix the color. Mix your color evenly in the bags.
- Prepare your cupcake pans with liners so they are ready to be filled.
- Carefully snipping a small but not tiny hole into one corner of the zip lock bag, add a blob of each color to each cupcake liner, layering the colored blobs. You will only fill each liner about 2/3 full so do not put too much of each color in at a time. I would take one color and add it to each liner, put it down, pick up my next color, add it to each liner, and repeat until I used all six colors and my liners were about 2/3 full. Note: Do NOT swirl or mix the colors. Just layer them a bit. They will swirl as they bake.
- Bake according to the directions on the box. Cool completely on a rack before frosting.
- Similar to what you did with the batter, evenly divide your frosting into 6 bags. Then, using the same colors as you did before, add the food dye to each bag and seal and squish the dye to mix it.
- Connect your frosting tip to your bag and coupler. Find a tall heavy bottomed glass or vase that isn’t too wide and stand your frosting bag in it and fold the edges over the top.
- Again, carefully snip a bag, then squeeze the colored frosting in as much of a “line” as you can manage along the edge of the bag. Pick-up your next bag, snip the tip and repeat, making colored stripes along the sides of the bag. You should be able to stripe 4 sides of the bag. Squeeze your last 2 colors to fill the center “hole” in the bag. Try to work quickly as the frosting does move with gravity.
- Grab the top of you frosting bag and twist it so you have a nice firm pressure against the frosting inside the bag. You are now ready to frost!
- Working from the outside perimeter to the center, pipe a swirl of colored frosting onto each cupcake. Repeat for all cupcakes. If you run out of frosting. Refill your bag in the same manner of colored stripes.
Holiday / Event Modification
Whether it’s your child’s favorite colors, a bridal shower, the Fourth of July, or the colors of the Irish flag for Saint Patty’s Day - the sky’s the limit to the fun you can have with the colors you mix to fit your event. For white, just leave that part of the batter/frosting in a bag without any dye in it.
Enjoy your clever creations and leave your guests wondering at your culinary genius! SWEET!