How to Make Tropical Rum Jello Shots in 5 Simple Steps
Some shots aren't so hard to take!
For those out there who don't like to take straight liquor shots anymore (like myself), jello shots are one of the best ways to enjoy hard alcohol without having to deal with the burning sensation or the feeling of wanting to gag. While they may be popular with the younger crowd, they can be fun for just about anyone. This recipe is tailored to the many of us who miss the beach, and to bring out the sensation of being on a sandy island during a lovely summer day! There's no way to liven up a pool party like with a tray full of tropical rum jello shots. It is important to note that being as jello shots are so easy to intake, to be mindful of how many you are consuming...as they are stronger than you think!
- 3oz package Jello, Any flavor
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 Cup Malibu Rum
- Handful of Coconut Flakes, (Optional)
- A few Small pieces of Pineapple, (Optional)
- Some Maraschino Cherries, (Optional)
What to use for molds
- Small paper cups
- Shot glasses
- 2oz souffle cups
- Halved orange, lemon, or lime peels. These are a little harder to prepare, but just cut the fruit in half, and scoop out the fruit. Use what's left as the mold!
Let's get some jello on!
- In a bowl, mix the jello mix with the hot water and stir until it is completely dissolved.
- Stir in the rum!
- If desired, stir in the coconut flakes. Know that they will probably float to the top, which is fine when you are just making shots anyway.
- Pour the jello-rum mixture into molds. The best thing to use from my experience is those little 1oz or 2oz paper cups. That way, when the jello hardens you can either peel it out of the cup or just suck it down! If you prefer to add the pineapple or cherries, let the jello chill for about 90 minutes in the refrigerator until it is firm, but not set.
- Let the jello shots chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours, if not overnight.
- If you feel that 1 cup of rum is too strong for you, cut the portion in half. So it will only be 1/2 cup of rum, and add 1/2 cup of water.
- Any color jello works well, but it helps to get one of the more tropical flavors to extenuate the Malibu Rum.
- If you don't have/don't want to use Malibu Rum, the next best option is a spiced rum, such as Sailor Jerry or Captain Morgan.
- If you choose to add fruit, make sure you allow the jello to harden just a little bit before placing them in. This is so it doesn't float to the top or sink to the bottom, and you can have a neatly put together jello treat.
- Like whipped cream? Why not throw a little on top?