- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
How to Make Vegetable Chili Milli, a Healthy Curry
An Overview of Making Veg Chili Milli
There are two main steps involved in making this curry. First, you have to make a rich gravy with cashew nuts, almonds, and the spices. Next, you have to add thinly chopped vegetables to the gravy and boil for a few minutes. Finally, simmer and add milk cream.
This gravy side dish has very smooth and buttery texture due to cashew nuts and almonds. Serve it with hot rice or any type of flatbread.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- Yields: Serves four people
Ingredients for Making Veg Chili Milli
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts, soaked in water
- 5 almonds, soaked in water
- 1 inch ginger
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- sugar to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1/2 cup cabbage, julienned
- 1/4 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/4 cup french beans, julienned
- 1/8 cup green capsicum, julienned
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh or frozen milk cream, optional, gives good taste
- a fistful green peas, optional
Step-By-Step Guidelines and Images for Making Veg Chili Milli
- Soak cashew nuts and almonds in water for 30 minutes. Strain, keep aside.
- Take chopped ginger, garlic, chopped tomato, soaked cashew nuts, and almonds in a mixer/blender. Grind them to get a smooth creamy paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add chopped onions. Saute on low fire till onions turn golden brown. This may take about 3-4 minutes.
- Add julienned cabbage, carrot, and french beans. Saute for 3 minutes. Throw julienned capsicum and fresh peas into the pan. Add salt. Mix well and saute for one minute.
- Pour tomato gravy mix. Stir-cook on low heat till the content starts showing up oil on the edges.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala powder, and slit green chilies. Continue stir-cooking for a few seconds.
- Add a cup of water. Throw in sugar. Boil and simmer for 4 minutes. Add fresh cream. Mix well.
- Add chopped coriander leaves. Veg chili milli is ready to serve!
- Serve this yummy curry with roti, naan, chapati, cooked rice, or any flatbread. Relish the taste!