How to Make Vegetable Dim Sum (a Variation of Momos)
Dim Sum with Garlic-Tomato Chutney
Dim Sums are Scrumptious Finger Snacks!
Making Dim Sum, a kind of momos is a bit lengthy task. But, once you prepare the dough and filling, it's easy to make them.
Making a sauce or chutney for a dim sum is also easy. But, making all these together take quite a lengthy time. What about the result? You get a plate full of a very delightful and healthy snack that you will love to eat!
For the Dough:
- 2 cups all purpose flour/maida
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 green chilies
- 1 small bowl cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 bowl carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 bowl French beans, finely chopped
- 1/2 bowl red and green capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons oil
Making the Dough:
- In a mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour, oil, and salt. Make a soft and firm dough by adding water little by little.
- Cover the dough with a wet cloth or container. Keep aside for 20 minutes.
Making the Stuffing:
- Make a coarse paste of ginger, garlic, and green chilies.
- Heat the oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add ginger-garlic-green chili paste. Saute on low fire until it becomes golden brown.
- Add chopped vegetables one by one, starting with cabbage, carrot, French beans, and capsicum. Stir-cook them for 7-8 minutes.
- Add salt. Adding salt makes cooking faster. Mix well. Cook until the vegetables are soft yet crunchy.
- Add soy sauce. Continue sauteing the mixture until it becomes dry. Turn off the heat. Transfer the mixture to a plate. Keep aside for cooling.
How to Make Dim Sum:
- Pinch out a small lemon-sized dough portion. Roll it into a thin disc of about 3" diameter.
- Place a tablespoon of the stuffing in the center. Fold the open ends by making pleats and closing them. Please refer to the pic. for perfection.
- Prepare 8-10 such dumplings in a batch. Heat the cooker or steamer. Place these dumplings on the greased perforated plate only after the steam comes out from the cooker. If using the cooker, don't use the weight.
- Cook it for 6-7 minutes on high heat. Turn off the fire. Open the steamer/cooker lid.
- Take out the plate containing the dumplings. Vegetable dim sum is ready!
- Serve them on a plate with garlic-tomato dip or any other sauce. Enjoy the taste!
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 18 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|