How to Make Vegetable Momos/Veg Dim Sum
An Overview of Making Veg Dim Sum
Making dim sum or momos is a lengthy task. But, once you prepare the dough and the filling, you can easily make them. Making dim sum sauce or chutney is easy. But all these together take quite a lot of time. What about the end result? You get handful of very delightful and healthy snacks that you will love to eat!
Making the Dough:
At first, make the dough. For this, take all purpose flour, oil, and salt in a mixing bowl. Knead them to form a soft, firm, and pliable dough. Rest it covered for 20 minutes.
Preparing the Filling:
Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Saute a coarse paste of garlic, ginger, and green chilies. Add finely chopped veggies. Stir-cook them till they are soft yet crunchy. Add salt and soy sauce. Stir-cook till the mix becomes dry. Keep aside for cooling. This is the stuffing for the dim sum.
Making Dim Sum:
Pinch out a small lemon size dough. Roll it into a thin dice. Place a tablespoon filling in the center. Fold the open ends by making pleats. Refer the pic. Make 8-10 such dim sum in a batch. Steam cook them for 6-8 minutes on high fire. Turn off the heat and take them out. Serve hot with tomato-garlic chutney/dip. Enjoy the taste!
Ingredients for Making Vegetable Dim Sum or Momos
- 2 cups all purpose flour/maida, for the dough
- 2 tsp oil, for the dough
- 1/4 tsp salt, for the dough
- 4 cloves garlic, Make a coarse paste of garlic, ginger, and green chilies
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 green chilies
- 1 small bowl Cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 bowl carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 bowl french beans, finely chopped
- 1/2 bowl red and green capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 2 tsp oil, for stir-cooking the veggies
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Veg Dim Sum or Momos
Making the Dough:
- Take all purpose flour, oil, and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a soft and firm dough, by adding water little by little.
- Cover it with a wet cloth or with a container. Keep aside for 20 minutes.
Preparing the Stuffing:
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Add ginger-garlic-green chili paste. Saute on low fire till they become golden.
- Add chopped vegetables one by one, starting with cabbage, carrot, french beans, and capsicum. Stir-cook them for 7-8 minutes.
- Add salt. This makes the cooking faster. Mix well. Cook till vegetables are soft yet crunchy.
- Pour soy sauce. Continue sauteing till the mix becomes dry. Turn off the fire. Transfer the contents to a plate. Keep aside for cooling.
How to Make Dim Sum or Momos:
- Pinch out a small lemon size dough. Roll it into a thin dice of about 3" or less diameter.
- Place a tablespoon stuffing in the center. Fold the open ends by making pleats and close it. Please refer the pic. for perfection.
- Prepare 8-10 such dumplings in a batch. Heat the cooker or steamer. Place these dumplings on the greased perforated plate only after the steam comes out from the cooker. If using cooker, don't use the weight.
- Cook them for 6-7 minutes on high heat. Turn off the fire. Open the steamer/cooker lid.
- Take out the plate containing the dumplings. Veg dim sum or veg momos is ready to eat.
- Serve 2-3 of them in a plate with garlic-tomato dip/sauce or with any other dip/sauce. Enjoy the taste!
Nutritional Information of Veg Dim Sum or Veg Momos
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 46 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|