- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
How to Make Vegetarian Pad Thai using Tofu.
Please Rate this Recipe
Cooking with Tofu
If you, like me, are new to cooking with tofu there are some simple and basic techniques that will ensure the correct texture and absorption of flavour into the tofu. In this recipe I used extra firm tofu, preparing it first by draining out the liquid from the packet and wrapping the tofu block in a cotton tea towel. I then placed it in the refridgerator for two hours under a chopping board. The cotton cloth absorbed the moisture and the tofu was easy to work with, absorbing the seasoning and sauce.
This recipe is from Big Vegan by Robin Asbell. This book is a fantastic resource for vegetarian as well as vegan appy's, mains and desert cooking and I have adapted several of the recipes for gluten free as well.
For wheat and gluten free eaters please use Bragg Soy Seasoning instead of soy sauce.
Ingredients for Tofu Pad Thai
- 1/4cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup Tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch or cornflour (UK)
- 2 tbsp Canola or 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 350g/1 pack extra firm tofu drained and pressed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped peeled ginger
- 3 cloves minced gralic
- 8 oz or 250g dried rice noodles (banh pho)
- 4 large green or spring onions, cut into 1-in/2.5-cm pieces
- 4oz/115g bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
How to Make Pad Thai
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. In a 2 cup jug mix together vegetable stock, lime juice, tamari/soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch/cornflour
- In a wok or skillet heat the oil and add chopped tofu. Add the pepper flakes and fry until the tofu is browned stirring and turning constantly. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Whilst cooking the tofu add the noodles to boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain them.
- Add stock to the tofu pan, the drained noodles, onions and bean sprouts, stir together until the mixture is coated and the liquids are absorbed and thickened approx 2 mins.
- Put onto plates and top with chopped peanuts and coriander/cilantro. Serve and enjoy.