How to Make Your Own Instant Spiced Tea Mix
My first taste of this concoction
A friend of mine gave me a jar of this homemade mix for Christmas one year, complete with a pretty piece of fabric over the lid, and a ribbon tied around it. I thought it was so sweet and thoughtful of her to share a piece of the South with me! I tried a cup of it shortly after, and was impressed by how it tasted.When I asked what was in it, she gave me the recipe, and I was surprised it was so simple. As a lover of many hot beverages, this hit the spot for me. I hope you like it as well.
Note that even though this is not a healthy drink, it does have quite a bit of Vitamin C in it, due to the Orange and Lemonade.
Where can these ingredients be found?
Most grocery stores, and some convenience stores, have the drink mixes in their powdered beverage section, which is usually near the water and sports drinks.
The spices in this recipe are very common, found in grocery stores, many convenience stores, and even many of the dollar stores that sell food. They can be found in the spice section, usually in the baking aisle.
- You can replace the lemonade with 1 package of lemon flavored Kool-Aid, and increase the sugar to 1 cup, if you prefer
- Instead of using lemonade and iced tea separately, you may use the packs of half lemonade and half iced tea
- Nutmeg can be used instead of, or even in addition to, the ground cloves
- I think it is fun to experiment with spices, so if there is another one that you think would complement the flavors, experiment. You may be surprised by how one ingredient can alter the taste
- There are many sugar-free versions out there, in case you don't want to consume too much
Spiced Tea Mix
Yield: 3 cups, which makes 24-48 servings
- 2 cups orange beverage powder (such as Tang)
- 1 cup unsweetened (powdered) instant tea
- 1/3 cup sweetened lemonade mix
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Mix all ingredients completely. Keep in mind that if you use any sugar-free varieties, you may not need to add any sugar. At this point, you may want to test out a little bit of it, and adjust the amounts to your taste.
- Store in mason jar or airtight container
- For one serving, pour 1 cup of boiling water into a mug (or heat up water in a microwave for about 1 minute), and stir in 1-2 Tablespoons (depending on how tangy you prefer it) of the mix until it is dissolved