Quick and Easy Homemade Kale Chips
While I have tried kale chips before, I was not really impressed. Sure there were a variety of flavors, but none appealed to me. And sure kale is a super food, but it was not enough to convince me to keep eating this packaged snack. And you know I love my easy to buy and eat snacks like seaweed.
During one of my frequent trips to the Farmers Market, I bought a bunch of kale just for the heck of it. I fully expected I was going to cook it up like collard greens. But then I decided to look up a recipe for making my own kale chips. Most of them explained how simple it was to do. But often they went straight for some combination of spices that I did not want. Just give me oil and salt. The best online argument for making my own kale chips is a more or less straight forward manner.
So here is my basic method for making your own kale chips.
Did You Know?
Kale has cancer fighting properties
- Paper towels or kitchen towel
- 2 large sheet pans
- Aluminum foil
- One bunch of kale
- 1-2 tablespoons Olive oil
Steps and Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Wash kale
- Strip the leaves and tear into small pieces
- Dry it well with paper towels or kitchen towel
- Line sheet pans with foil
- Lay kale on sheet pans in single layer
- Oil and salt the kale and mix on sheet pan (this saves using a separate bowl)
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until crisp
- Let cool and enjoy
You can store your kale chips in a zip lock bag or plastic storage container. Eat at will.
How to Make Kale Chips
Words to the Wise
- If you smell something similar to mustard greens cooking, you are on the right track. Your oven will emit a foul odor as the kale cooks. But it is worth it. This is the only way I can eat and enjoy kale.
- While kale chips are a healthy replacement for regular potato chips or unhealthy options, it does taste bitter. So you will have to play around with this basic recipe to get your desired taste. But bitter foods are great for your liver!
If you have tried making your own kale chips, now is your time to shine.
Do you have special spices or additions that you think are simply delicious? Then please share your experience so others and I can try them out!
My Favorite Variation:
The best tasting kale chips I make have one simple addition. I add ume plum vinegar when I am salting and oiling the chips before they go in the oven. Ume plum vinegar add a very little acidity, more of a salty taste but with a little sweetness.
Kale Chips Anyone?
Have you tried kale chips before?
Other Hubs About Kale
About the Author
Stephanie Bradberry is a freelance writer and editor. She is an educator, herbalist, and naturopath who runs her own home-based business, Naturally Fit & Well, LLC. One of her favorite pastimes is whipping up or trying out recipes.