- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to Make Your Own Pickles
Wondering what to do with your bucket full of cucumbers you just picked from the garden? Try making these super delicious pickles that you can tweak to your own liking!
This year we decided to try our luck at growing a garden. We are fortunate enough to be somewhat successful. We ate our first homegrown cucumber Sunday night! Now, there are at least seven more growing. I started to think, what in the world are we going to do with all these cucumbers.....PICKLES.
Before you begin, you will need to have harvested at least 10-15 cucumbers for this recipe. If you have less, you can always cut the recipe in half. My first thought was that I could reuse jars that I have saved from the grocery store. However, my neighbor instructed me to use canning jars with new lids. You can reuse the canning jars but he recommended buying new lids. After each use, the lid does not pop for freshness. If you plan to store the pickles for awhile, you will definitely want to keep them as fresh as possible!
- 4 cups Vinegar
- 4 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup Canning Salt
- 1 1/4 TBSP Mustard Seed
- 1 1/4 TBSP Celery Seed
- 1 1/4 TBSP Tumeric
- (optional) Onions
- (optional) Peppers
- (optional) Garlic
- 10-15 Cucumbers
- Bring vinegar, sugar and salt mixture to boil.
- Slice cucumbers into desired pickle shape while the mixture is boiling. We like to slice our cucumber into thin circles but you can also slice them longways for a larger pickle.
- Pack each mason jar with the sliced cucumbers. While packing the cucumbers, add all other ingredients to the jars.
- After packing the cucumbers into the jars you will pour the boiling mixture over cucumbers to the top and seal.
This a very simple recipe to make pickles! We've given jars to people as thank-you gifts, used them as an appetizer at gatherings and people can't get enough of them!