How to Make Homemade Strawberry Jam.
Making your own strawberry jam can be easy and fun and saves you money too! Besides, it feels good to know exactly what went into the jam you are eating and that it contains no additional preservatives. Stock on strawberries when in season, and make enough jam to last you a year! This is a pretty simple recipe and if you take away the overnight soak, the preparation time is only 30 minutes.
- 1kilogram Strawberries, Fresh
- 850grams Sugar
- 4 tablespoons Lemon
- 3 or 4 Sterile Jars
- Place all ingredients in a dish, cover it, and leave it overnight.
- Before starting the jam, place your jam jars in a hot over (110 degrees C / 225 degrees F) for 5 minutes. Take out of the oven and let them cool. This step is very important to ensure that the jam will not spoil.
- Place the juice from the strawberry dish in a pot and boil it. Then add the strawberries and let the mixture boil for 5 minutes. Sieve out the strawberries and place the liquid in the pot again and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Place the strawberries in the pot again and let the mixture boil for another 5 minutes.
- Using a tablespoon take off the crusty top layer out of the pot and place the jam in the jars.
- Seal the jars and place them upside down in a dark cupboard.