How to Make a Bacon Maple Old Fashioned Cocktail
Having worked at a bar for a short period of time I do enjoy learning and using a variety of cocktail recipes, and one of my favorite cocktails is the "bacon-maple old fashioned". Many of you are probably familiar with the Old-Fashioned, a drink made with bourbon and other ingredients. The standard version of this famous cocktail has recently been made famous by Don Draper on the hit show Mad Men as his beverage of choice. This particular cocktail recipe is a slight variation of this classic drink, that I think is pretty good! Hopefully you feel the same way!
Making the Bacon Infused Bourbon
Now, if you can get a hold of some good bacon whiskey that's great, but if not you may need to make it yourself. Here's how:
What You'll Need
- Bourbon Whiskey - I used Four Roses Bourbon, but you can pick your pleasure here. Wild Turkey works too.
- Bacon - You'll need enough to get 1 ounce of bacon fat
- Cook the bacon in a frying pan and pour 1 ounce of the leftover fat into a container
- Pour a 750ml bottle of bourbon into a large bowl and then add the 1 ounce of bacon fat
- Let it sit for 5-6 hours to allow the infusion to take place
- Place in the freezer for an hour or until the bacon fat has solidified completely
- Remove the solid bacon fat from the whiskey and then strain the whiskey back into the bottle carefully
You're read to make the cocktail!
Making the Bacon Maple Old Fashioned
Now that you have the Bacon Whiskey let's talk about the drink!
What You'll Need
- Bacon Infused Bourbon
- Grade B Maple Syrup
- Angostura Bitters
- Twist of Orange Peel
- First fill a mixing glass with ice and then pour in 2 oz of bacon infused Whiskey
- Add between 1/8 and 1/4 oz of Maple Syrup (You can experiment here depending on your preference)
- Add 2 dashes (shakes) of Angostura bitters
- Stir the mixture well (around 25 times or so) to ensure it is well mixed
- In a small rocks glass add ice (many people like to do the Old Fashioned with 1 large ice cube to ensure slow dilution)
- Strain the mixture into the glass
- Cut a piece of orange peel from the orange and then twist it over the glass to release some zesty oils - then rub the rim of the glass softly with the twist before throwing it into the drink
Well that's how it's done! Experiment with different amounts of syrup and bitters to make your perfect Bacon Maple Old Fashioned.
Hope you like it!