- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Easy Vegan Buckwheat Pancake Recipe
Rate this Healthy Vegan Buckwheat Pancake
|Serving size: 1 Cup|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Carbohydrates 122 g||41%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 17 g||68%|
|Protein 23 g||46%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Recipe for Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes
Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes are a healthy breakfast option. Buckwheat is not a cereal but a grain, hence it is easier to digest and helps maintain the alkaline pH balance of the blood.
In this recipe bananas are being substituted for eggs and water is used instead of milk. To make it creamier you can use soy milk instead of water.
Serving it with sliced fruit and soy yoghurt makes it a deliciously yummy breakfast, especially on weekends when you can pamper yourself.
One vegan meal saves about 3000 gallons of Water, 16 pounds of Grain and saves money and your health.
- 3/4 cup buckwheat groats, freshly ground
- 1 1/2 banana, mashed
- 3/4 cup water, room temperature
- 1/2 a banana, sliced
- apricot jam or any other Jam
- 1/2 cup soy yoghurt, fruit or chocolate flavoured
- vegetable cooking oil
Instructions to Make Buckwheat Pancakes from Scratch
- Mash the bananas in a bowl with a fork
- Grind the buckwheat groats in a coffee grinder or food processor
- Add buckwheat flour on the mashed banana
- Add 1/2 a cup of water into the bowl and mix gently
- Add water according to required consistency.
- Heat a saucepan or non-stick pan and add a spoon of oil
- Pour a ladle of the buckwheat and banana mix
- Flip over to cook on the other side
- Spread a fruit jam on the Pancake
- Serve with sliced bananas or other fruit and Soy Yoghurt
Tips for Making Crisp Buckwheat Pancakes
Grind the Buckwheat groats in a coffee grinder or food processor
We have noticed that using buckwheat groats gives a different texture to the pancakes. It is fluffier, fresher and tastier. When we used the flour the pancakes came out a little rubbery. So if there is a choice between buying the groats or the flour, it is recommended to go for the groats.
It is also important to grind the buckwheat groats very fine. A coffee grinder is ideal for this purpose. If you use a food processor then it would be a good idea to make sure you can grind the buckwheat to get a really fine flour.
For making the pancakes creamier
Soy milk or Almond milk can be used instead of water to make the pancakes richer and creamier.
Cooking time on the pan should be Just So
It is good to remember that if you leave the pancake on the pan too long it becomes rubbery and chewy. You have to be watchful and flip it over at the right moment. This will come with practice.
For making it fluffier
A pinch of baking powder can be added to the batter to make the pancakes fluffier and lighter in texture. This is an option but not necessarily required. It would be a good idea to experiment and see what one prefers.
Buckwheat -- Health Benefits
- Buckwheat -- Nutrition Profile, Health Benefits and Preparation
Energizing and nutritious, buckwheat is available throughout the year. Find out more about its health benefits, how to store it, tips for preparation and its nutrition profile.
About the Author
Sushma Webber writes content for both web and print media. She has worked as a volunteer in many not-for-profit organizations. She is interested in creating a balance in life between the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual aspects. She is interested in mindful awareness practices, Zen practices and translating these in daily life at work in front of the computer and during various activities of her life. She likes to share her inspiration through her latest blogs are::
- Rewire Your Brain in 40 Days - This is a blog for those who are over 35 years old and would like to learn how to regenerate their brain to stay young and smart through Right Diet, Right Exercise and Right Meditation. The blog also has links to helpful Resources like Books, DVDs and Free Webinars like 'Unblock Your Abundance'.
- Zen To Go -- Cultivating the Willingness to Just Be - This is a new brand new blog on Zen Wisdom for daily life. It was created to help motivate those who would like to start and stay with Zen practices like Zazen Meditation, learn the Zen Way of life and find inspiration to Just Be. There is a T-shirt shop - Zen-to-go as well and other helpful links to Resources like Books on Zen Teachings and Practices, DVDs on Zen Meditation and a Gift shop.