How to Make a Rabbit Shaped Cake for Easter
Knowing how to make a bunny cake for Easter, birthdays, or as a tribute to spring is a matter of a little instruction, a little practice, and a little time. There are a number of ways to create a bunny cake depending on your budget, your time frame, and your desire to create.
- You can use the 3-D pans to make an Easter Bunny that sits up on the table. This makes an amazing centerpiece for everything from Easter to baby showers.
- You can use a shaped pan that lies flat. This is easier and quicker than the 3-D pan and also allows the cake to be transported without too much stress.
- You can use a sheet cake and just draw the bunny on the top of it and decorate that way.
- You can use commercial bunny cake toppers for cakes and cupcakes. Add some sprinkles and you are ready to go.
Cake Decorating Supplies You Will Need-
How to Make a Bunny Cake with the 3-D Pan
If you are going to make a 3-D bunny cake be sure to use a cake recipe that is heavy, like pound cake. This helps the cake to stay together. It is important that you use a baker’s no stick spray with flour to ensure that the cake doesn’t stick to the pan. Spray the pan generously and be sure that all indentations and details are covered with the spray. Look for shiny spots. These will tell you that there are areas that are not completely covered.
You will want to use a pound cake recipe that makes two cakes (just double the recipe if it only makes one). You can also use a cake mix, however often these are not heavy enough and the cake will break apart. Mix your cake according to the instructions in the recipe (or on the package if making a mix). You will need a total of 4 ½ cups of batter.
Baking the Cake
- Pour the batter into the pan according to the pan instructions. Smooth it gently with your spatula. Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool for ten minutes. There will be a raised portion in the center. Slice this off gently to allow the cake to sit levelly. Place a cake plate against the bottom of the pan and turn the cake and plate over. Slide the pan off the cake carefully. Cool completely, at least an hour.
- Brush off the crumbs and use frosting to cover the cake with a thin “crumb layer”. For best results freeze this for about an hour.
Frosting the Cake
You can frost your cake using any of several methods. The easiest way of all is to make a chocolate ganache glaze and pour it over the cake. This will set and be shiny and make your cake look like a huge chocolate bunny.
For a traditional bunny cake you will need the following:
- #3 Outlining tip
- #16 Star tip
- Paste food color in rose
- 2 Brown M&M candies for eyes
- Pink Jelly Bean for nose
- 3 cups of white buttercream frosting
- Tint ¼ cup of the frosting light rose. Thin it slightly with a teaspoon of clear corn syrup.
- Use the #3 tip to outline the bunny’s ears with pink.
- Smooth the pink icing over the inside of the bunny’s ears with a small spatula.
- Use the #3 tip to outline the mouth with pink.
- With the white buttercream use the #16 tip to make stars to cover the bunny. Keep the stars close together so that the cake doesn’t show through. If the buttercream gets too soft from the heat of your hands put it in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- Make a large rosette with the white icing to create a tail.
- Add the brown M &Ms for eyes.
- Cut the jelly bean in half and push it into the buttercream to make a nose.
You can then use fondant tinted orange and green to make carrots, or surround the bunny with chocolate eggs.
Other Types of Easter Bunny Cake
To use a flat pan that is shaped like a bunny you proceed in about the same way, although it is easier. You can use any cake recipe or mix you like since the bunny will not need to stand up. Prepare the cake batter as directed. Spray the pan with baking spray and bake according to instructions. Allow to cool and turn out of the pan.
Use thinned icing and your #3 round tip to pipe outlines. Use the #16 star tip to fill in details.
You will just make your sheet cake according to the instructions in the recipe. Using a picture from a coloring book or even your imagination, lightly “draw” the shape of the bunny on the cake with a sharp knife. Smooth the frosting over the rest of the cake. Use the star tip to fill in the bunny anyway you like.
Just Do It
Some things are more difficult to think about than do. Just get started and do it. Remember that having fun is the important thing. If you want to learn how to make a bunny cake there is no secret formula. Just begin and practice. Soon you will be creating cakes like a pro!