- Food and Cooking
How to Make a Gateau Marie Dessert - Coffee Gateau Recipe. No Cook!
This Gateau Marie recipe is so easy to make and involves absolutely no cooking. Simply follow the steps to put together and allow to set in the fridge. Do not allow the simplicity of the ingredients to put you off because this is really an amazing dessert.
- 3 packets Tea Biscuits (I used Morning Coffee biscuits), or any other semi sweet plain biscuits.
- 3 tins (170grams each) Nestles Cream, or any other Pure Dairy Sterilized Cream.
- 2 teaspoons Instant Coffee
- 2 large tablespoons Nutella, or any other chocolate hazelnut spread
- optional whiskey, just a dash to taste.
- 75grams hazelnuts, chopped.
- 2 squares chocolate, grated shavings.
- Line a 7 by 9 dish with cling film. (you can use any other similar sized dish).
- Cover the base of the dish with a layer of semi sweet tea biscuits.
- Fill a mug with hot water, dissolve a teaspoon of instant coffee and add a shot of whiskey to taste. (you can omit the whiskey or use another liquor of your choice.)
- Sprinkle the hot coffee over the biscuits until they are wet but not soaked.
- In another container, whisk the cream with the chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Cover the wet biscuits with the chocolate cream.
- Line up another layer of biscuits and repeat steps 4-6 for a few times and finish off with the layer of chocolate.
- Sprinkle the top layer with chopped hazelnuts and some chocolate shavings.
- Cover the dish with cling film or aluminium foil and allow to set in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- When set, use the cling film to help you take it gently out of the dish. Cut into squares and serve cold.
This dessert is extremely popular on the island of Malta. I hope you will enjoy it and give it a try too. Please leave your comments and feedback especially if you try some alterations on this recipe. I do appreciate all suggestions.
Other recipes by kikalina
- How to Make Spicy Broad Bean Paste the Maltese way. ...
An easy healthy Maltese Bigilla recipe. Bigilla - spicy broad bean paste (dip).
- How to make Kwarezimal. A Traditional Maltese Lente...
Easy Recipe to make Kwarezimal. A traditional old recipe originating in Malta commonly consumed during Lent.
- How to make easy chocolate chip muffin cupcakes
A recipe for relatively healthy chocolate chip muffins that are low in oil. Easy 10 minute recipe!
- How to Make Banana Bread in a Bread Maker Machine
The bread maker can come in handy to get rid of those ripe bananas. Here is a delicious healthy banana bread recipe.