- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
A cure for Colds and Flu - Onion and Garlic Soup Vegans & Added Bonus Intro To Naturopathic Life Style
Naturopathic Cold & Flu Buster
The Ingredients and How to Prevent and Cure a Cold
Prevention is better than cure
As stated in the introduction, onions and garlic both contain natural antibiotics. For an overall healthy life style, both garlic and onions should be a daily part of your food intake. Another antibiotic in natural form is the Capsicum or more commonly called a Chili.
Therefore as an overall guide to continued daily health, is to always have a small salad, either as a starter or as part of your main meal.
Mini health salad - eat at least once daily
This mini salad (for 2) need only comprise of:-
- a chopped tomato,
- half a chopped onion,
- a chopped clove of garlic,
- half a raw carrot finely diced,
- (optional) a cayenne pepper finely chopped.
The salad dressing can be just:-
- a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice,
- salt and pepper,
- and or a light drizzle of virgin olive oil.
Combine the salad ingredients into a bowl for serving add the salt and pepper and salad dressing and dish up.
The Onion and Garlic Soup Cure!
Remember to try and use Organic products
- 3 large onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig of fresh parsley finely chopped
- 4 cups of filtered water
Chop the onions and garlic into small pieces. Or alternatively liquidize them.
Bring a stainless steel saucepan with 4 cups of filtered water to the boil and then add the chopped onions and garlic and the parsley to the saucepan and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the saucepan and then let it simmer for 15 minutes. Until the onions have cooked until they are very soft.
Serve it either as is or liquidize with a thickening agent for a creamy soup.
Add 1 tablespoon of chick pea flour and whisk it up in 2 tablespoons of filtered water.
Add to the soup and stir, until the desired thickness is obtained, then simmer for 5 minutes.
A Healthy Hint
A quick note where ever you can rather use a Cast Iron pan or Saucepan, as small traces of Iron will be transfered to your diet, which is an essentual mineral your bodies need to maintain good health.
Getting the full Healing Process of this Soup
Climb into bed and keep well covered, drink the soup while hot, keep the remainder of the soup warm until later.
The soup will cause your body temperature to rise, so expect some sweating, remain well covered and rest.
Try and have another serving about 15 minutes after finishing your 1st serving.
Here is to your health.
A final note
This Onion Soup with the thickening is also a good starter for a normal winter family meal - try it.
What has been said on the most watched TV Chat Shoe
Now for that added bonus to the hub, if you watched the big "O " show avidly on a a daily basis, you would have seen her favorite Doctor, also with an "O" .
Now you may all know by now that the good Doctor also has his own show, a point - I am talking here about thee type of Doctor who deals withyour colds flu and other medical conditions. I donot mean the other very popular Doctor.
He ran a very interesting show, in which he discussed , some of the other factors which causes weight gain, namely the chemicals in which food is packaged an prepared in.
This caused me to remodel this hub, so do your self a favour and try and find a transcript of.his show, I could not tell you the date of it as I watchedit in South Africa, and we seem to be a bit behind over here.
Naturopathic Eating - my Beginings
While researching and developing this lifestyle cookbook, I came across this soup, which was actually a part of the detox program, and had the properties of natural antibiotics to help the healing process of colds and early stages of flu.
I have included a section of the book which partly explains the principle and practise of the Naturopathic Way of Life.
The fly leaf of a lifestyle cookbook that I developed under the guidance of my Naturopathic Doctor.
Naturopathic Gastronomix is the simple and naturally tasty, but straightforward preparation and appreciation of Mother Earth's bounty, which we, as the custodians of this planet, can therefore enjoy, without the destruction of its sustainability.
The recipes I developed where based on the practice and principles of this manner of eating and preparing food.
A Quick Overview Of Naturopathic Eating
- Eat only when you are feeling hungry.
- Give reverence to the Almighty however you perceive him for your food.
- Eat only after your mind is calmed.
- Eat until you are satisfied.
- Eat as much raw vegetables as possible
- Eat slowly; finish each mouthful before starting on the next one.
- Always wait 20 minutes between your starters and main meal, or between the main meal and dessert
And The Do Not's
- Eat before 30 minutes after getting up in the morning.
- Eat before 15 minutes after drinking.
- Eat for 30 minutes after exercising.
- Eat when you are angry.
- Eat when you are upset.
- Eat when you are in a state of shock.
- Eat and drink at the same time.
- Eat when you are in a rush (rather have a small snack, and then another snack later).
- Eat when you are already feeling full.
- Reheat cooked food more than once.
How to Prepare Food - The Naturopathic Way
The Big Do's in food Preparation
- Use only filtered water to wash, soak and rinse your fruits, pulses, rice and vegetables.
- Use only Non-Iodated Sea Salt, in moderation as an additive only after cooking the food.
- Use only stainless steel, clay or earthenware pots and pans for cooking.
- Only add Olive after the food is cooked
- Use a steamer or conventional oven for cooking.
- Use lemon juice in moderation as an additive to food after cooking
- Use organic produce as far as possible; these items are available at health shops or organic suppliers, also your larger Supermarkets.
The Big Do Not's in Food Preparation
- Use a microwave oven
- Never cook with any oils
- Cook with vegetable or animal fats
- Add non-iodated sea salt to the food while cooking
- Reheat the food more than once.
- Use processed or preserved herbs and spices
- Use aluminium cook ware.
- Use any non-stick coated cook or bake ware
- Use spirit vinegar with your food.