How to Marinate Celery
Celery Uses and Marinated Celery
Celery has many uses in the culinary world. It is an ingredient that we find in soups, salads, entrée dishes, and even sandwiches. While celery is used to complement other dishes and foods, it can be eaten on its own as a snack by dipping it into salad dressing, mayonnaise, sour cream, or other dips.
Another way to enjoy celery is by marinating it. Marinated celery is delicious and goes great with sandwiches and your main dishes. Below you will find a recipe for marinated celery. It is easy to make and takes little time to prepare.
- Bunch Celery
- 2-3 Carrots
- Bunch Fresh Dill
- 1 Liter Water
- 3/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- Separate each celery rib from the stalk and thoroughly wash each one under running water. Then cut each one into medium-sized pieces and place into a big glass jar.
- Wash two or three medium-sized carrots under running water, peel, and cut in half or in three and place into the glass jar with the celery.
- Thoroughly wash the fresh dill under running water, cut into smaller strips and place into the glass jar with the celery and carrots.
- Take a medium-sized pot and mix the following ingredients in it: 1 Liter of water, 3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil, 1/2 cup of sugar, 4 teaspoons of salt. Place the pot on the stove and bring the mixture to a boil. Once the pot starts boiling turn off the heat.
- Carefully pour the (marinate) mixture into the jar with the celery, carrots, and dill. Since the mixture is hot, you might need to place a spoon into the jar while pouring the mixture so the jar doesn't crack. If there is some (marinate) mixture left in the pot, you can spill it into the sink or use it to marinate some other vegetables.
- Once you've poured the (marinate) mixture into the jar, cover the lid tightly, let it cool and once cooled down close the jar with the lid and place into the refrigerator. You can enjoy the marinated celery and carrots within a few hours.
I love celery a lot, especially one that's marinated or pickled. Since I've yet to see marinated celery being sold in a supermarket or other food store, I marinate it myself using the recipe above. It tastes delicious.
Celery isn't the only thing you can marinate using this recipe. I have also marinated cauliflower, Napa (cabbage), and Daikon radish.
Give it a try sometime. It won't take you much time to prepare and you'll have something tasty to add to your meal or even snack.
© 2012 Lena Kovadlo