How to Peel and Cut Onions Without Crying
How to Cut Onions Without Crying
It was a relief to finally find out the best way to cut an onion without shedding tears. This is an easy solution that stops the vapours getting into your eyes. I also show you how to remove the taste of onions from your hands, chopping board and frying pan.
- Place the onion on its side and cut off the edge.
- Turn the onion around and do the same on the other side.
- Then peel the onion of its skin.
- Make sure you do this by moving your hands away from your body.
- This will let any onion vapours rise away from your face.
- Once the onions are peeled you need to put them under running water from the tap for a few seconds.
The Onions are Now Ready to Cut
They will now be ready to chop up as you wish. But remember to cut them up slightly away from your body. This will stop any lingering vapours rising into your eyes.
A common mistake people make when cutting and chopping up onions is to touch their face before washing their hands. This is more painful because the onion has been put directly onto the eyes from the hands. Always wash your hands immediately after peeling and chopping up onions.
The Onion Smell
The smell of onions tends to linger on the chopping board and frying pan even when these have been cleaned. There is a quick and easy way to get rid of these from your kitchen implements.
- Lemon juice is an excellent way to dispel all lingering odours.
- Wash your pan and chopping board as usual.
- Then add a few squirts of the lemon juice, rub in to the surface.
- Wait a few seconds and wash again with just hot water.
- If you have a fresh lemon then use this but those small bottles of concentrated lemon juice work just as well.