How to Peel and Cut Onions Without Crying
The Correct Way Cut Onions Without Tears
The best way to peel and chop onions without shedding tears. This is an easy solution that stops the vapours getting into your eyes. I also show you how to remove the taste of onions from your hands, chopping board and frying pan.
- Place the onion on its side and cut off the root edge.
- Turn the onion around and do the same on the other side.
- Then peel the onion of its skin.
- Make sure you do this by moving your hands away from your body.
- This will let any onion vapours rise away from your face.
- Once the onions are peeled you need to put them under running water from the tap for a few seconds.
When cutting onions we cry because a gas called Lachrymatory is released. This activates neurons in your eyes so you feel a stinging sensation, The tears that come next do the job of flushing out the irritant.
When you cut off the root end of the onion it helps to avoid irritation of the eyes because this part has the higher concentration of these irritants.
The Onions are Now Ready to Cut
They will now be ready to chop up as you wish. But remember to cut them up slightly away from your body. This will stop any lingering vapours rising into your eyes.
A common mistake people make when cutting and chopping up onions is to touch their face before washing their hands. This is more painful because the onion has been put directly onto the eyes from the hands. Always wash your hands immediately after peeling and chopping up onions.
The Onion Smell
The smell of onions tends to linger on the chopping board and frying pan even when these have been cleaned. There is a quick and easy way to get rid of these from your kitchen implements.
- Lemon juice is an excellent way to dispel all lingering odours.
- Wash your pan and chopping board as usual.
- Then add a few squirts of the lemon juice, rub in to the surface.
- Wait a few seconds and wash again with just hot water.
- If you have a fresh lemon then use this but those small bottles of concentrated lemon juice work just as well.
Different Ways to Eat Onions
- Fried onions are used to flavour steak and hamburgers.
- Onions are boiled in stews. soups and casseroles with other vegetables to add flavour.
- Raw onions can be chopped and added to potato salad, egg mayonnaise and other sandwiches.
The Health Benefits of Eating Onions
- Onions are low in calories but packed with vitamins and minerals. They have a high content of antioxidants and sulphur compounds.
- If you eat regularly it helps to lower cholesterol.
- There is also evidence that onions can thin the blood vessels which can stop the hardening of the arteries.
- It also helps to maintain healthy blood pressure.
- Onions have 40 calories per 100 grams.
Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamin C, B9and B6 are abundant. Also Potassium which helps to lower blood pressure.