- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to Smoke the Perfect Turkey
The intimidation factor
Smoking a turkey can seem to be an undertaking of herculean proportions. The reality is that smoking a turkey is an almost effortless method to producing a juicy, tender and flavorful bird that will wow even the most jaded Thanksgiving guest.
- 1 cup Table Salt
- 2 cups Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp (optional) Liquid Smoke
- 1 5 gallon bucket
- 1 Turkey, 8-10 lbs
- Wash and sterilize bucket thoroughly.
- Fill bucket 2/3 full with cold water.
- Add both salts to water and stir until completely dissolved.
- Add remaining flavors and stir to combine
- Remove any giblets and place turkey in water, cover turkey with something heavy to hold it under water. Add 1 tray ice to bucket and cover tightly with lid or plastic wrap. leave turkey submerged for 24 hours in brine. Add ice as necessary to keep between 35-40 degrees.
- Place turkey in heavily smoking smoker. Most smoke flavor will absorb in the first hour of cooking so it is important for the smoker to have a dense smoke emitting when you first introduce the turkey
- Smoke 4-6 hours at 225 degrees or until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees.