Rice Cooker Recipe: Marble Cake With Almonds
Would you try baking this cake?
Can I bake a cake using a rice cooker?
Definitely yes !
The best thing about owning a rice cooker, regardless of brand, is you could bake cookies, cakes, cook soups, instant noodles and even stir fries。
5 Reasons To Use a Rice Cooker to Bake a Cake
- Cheapest electrical appliance compare to ovens
- More energy efficient compare to stove tops
- Need not use cake tin because the rice cooker pot itself is the cake tin. Just a simple butter spray or glazing will do.
- Easy to pop out the cake after baking
- You don't have to keep an eye on the cake being burnt because the temperature and timing are automated.
More Cakes and Cookies that Peachpurple had baked:
How do I bake Marble Cake with Almonds?
Most marble cakes use unsweetened cocoa powder but I decided to use malted cocoa powder ( beverage ) known as MILO which is very popular among Malaysians and Singaporeans. MILO taste sweet on its own, you don’t have to add any sweeteners or sugar into it.
Now, the interesting part is how to create the marble patterns of the Marble Cake with these simple steps.
- Divide the batter into two bowls of equal portion.
- Add 2 tsp of cocoa powder into one bowl and mix it well until the batter turns chocolate brown in color.
- Leave the other batter untouched.
- If you prefer more chocolate batter, divide the vanilla batter 1/3 and 2/3 for the chocolate flavor
- 115g butter, soften
- 115g castor sugar
- 115g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, Grade A
- 60ml milk
- some almonds, roasted and crushed
- 2 tsp cocoa powder, or MILO
- 1 tbsp milk powder
- some almonds, for decoration
Ingredients to prepare
Low price slices of almonds
115g = 39.3 oz
60ml = 0.12 pint
- Cream butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add in eggs, one at a time after each beating of the batter.
- Add in vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Sieve in plain flour together with the baking powder into the butter mixture.
- Add in crush almonds and stir well. Pour in the milk liquid and mix again. It should turn out a soft, easy dropping batter.
- Divide batter into 2 portion equally.
- One bowl is pure vanilla batter while the other bowl, add in 2 tsp of cocoa powder or MILO. Stir well.
- Lightly grease the rice cooker pot ( inner pot-the black one ) with a little butter over the base and the side of the pot.
- Pour in 1/3 of the vanilla batter into the pot. Even the surface. Pour in 2 tbsp of the chocolate batter. Next, pour in the vanilla batter and then the chocolate batter until you have finish them.
- Use a toothpick to make pattern design on the surface of the cake. Sprinkle almonds slices over the cake.
- Put the pot back into the rice cooker pot. Press Cook Rice for 50min. When it beeps, it is ready to remove.
The first birthday cakes came from Germany. Back then, the Germans made birthday cakes that were alike breads without any fancy icing or fondue. These cakes were celebrated for children only.
Cream the butter mixture by hand
How to cream the butter with sugar by hand
- Cream butter and sugar until creamy.
- It doesn't have to be fluffy and light. I use a stainless steel fork and beat for 5 minutes sugar,
- Just make sure the sugar is dissolve.
- I dipped my finger into the batter and feel between my fingers.
- If you can feel bits of beat again..
Sieve the dry ingredients
How to sieve the dry ingredients
- Measure all the dry ingredients separately.
- Pour in all the dry ingredients (baking powder and milk powder) into the sieve.
- Start shaking the sieve or use your hand to light hit the side of the sieve
- Remove the harden bits of dry ingredients.
I prefer the old fashion flour sifter
How to make the Chocolate batter
- After you had incorporate the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, you need to divide the batter into halves.
- Get two medium bowls.
- Divide the batter into half, equally.
- Add in cocoa powder or MILO into of the bowls.
- Mix well until the batter becomes chocolate batter. (Super Yummy!)
How to pour the cake batter
- Now, you really need to lightly grease the rice cooker pot. Otherwise your Marble Cake with stuck onto the pot and wouldn't fall off easily.
- Just a dab of butter is sufficient to grease the pot.
- Make sure the butter is light and soft so that you can grease the base and the side of the pot.
- Just grease 1/3 of the rice cooker pot will do.
- Pour in some vanilla batter into the pot. at least cover up the base.
- Then pour in a little chocolate batter, around 2 tbsp will do.
- Even out the chocolate batter with the back of a spoon.
- Then pour again the vanilla batter and then the chocolate batter until you had finish them.
Create the pattern
- You don't have to be an artistic pattern maker.
- Use a toothpick and dip it into the batter right to the bottom of the bse of the rice cooker.
- Create whatever pattern your desire.
- I did this: draw continuous "S" sign from top to bottom and draw a straight line.
- Makes a $$ sign but turn out a tree instead!
Don't forget the almonds!
- You can either use raw slices of almonds or roast them in the oven for 10 minutes.
- I prefer to use raw almonds.
- Sprinkle the almonds over the surface of the Marble Cake.
How to bake Almond Marble Cake
This is my Panasonic Rice Cooker. The best thing about rice cooker is you can bake cakes and muffins besides the usual boring rice.
I prefer to use Rice Cooker because I don't have to keep checking on the cake temperature or the status of the cake.
- Make sure the Marble Cake batter is even, not slanting.
- Put the pot into the rice cooker, cover the lid.
- Press Cook Rice. Panasonic has two function; Quick Cook-30 minutes or WHite Rice - 50 minutes.
- I chose White Rice - 50 minutes to ensure the cake is cooked well. I am in no hurry to eat.
- Press START, and I left the Rice Cooker to do the job while I attend to washing all the dirty bowls.
How to remove the cake
Removing the Marble cake from the rice cooker is easy but you need to be careful because the pot is really HOT!
- Use a pair of mittens of towel to protect your hands.
- Turn off the rice cooker once it started to beep ( means ready ).
- Open up the lid, lift up the rice cooker pot.
- Prepare 2 big flat plates.
- One plate to cover the mouth of the pot ( where you can see the cake )
- Hold firm on both sides of the edges of the plates and the pot together.
- Now take a deep breath, turn the whole pot upside down. Yes, UPSIDE DOWN.
- The plate should land on the table while the pot is upside down as picture shown.
- Make sure the pot is in the middle of the plate so that the cake doesn't falls off.
- Slowly, lift up the pot.
- You can see the "backside" of the Marble Cake.
- Use the other plate to cover the back of the cake and turn it over again.
- This time, the front cake is facing up.
- Lift up the first plate and this is how my Marble Cake with Almonds appears.
- Remember to leave it to cool before cutting the cake.
Enjoy baking with your Rice Cooker !!
Let's Eat the Marble Cake with Almonds!
Have you bake or bought a Marble Cake?
How to remove a cake from rice cooker
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2015 peachy