- Food and Cooking
How to buy a watermelon
Watermelon and health
Who would miss out on tasting a ripe juicy crunchy cool slice of watermelon in summer? In addition to being delicious, a watermelon has many health benefits. It reduces the risk of developing kidney stones and reduces the risk of several cancers. Its high water content makes it the perfect fruit for summer.
Watermelon and viagra relation
A recent study indicates that watermelons contain citruline that relaxes the body's blood vessels which is the same effect that Viagra provides. Researchers say Watermelon is not as organ-specific as viagara but it's a great way to relax blood vessels without any drug side effects. Note that you would need at least 6 cups of watermelon to get this effect. For more details, read this article on watermelon and viagra on the "Time" site.
Picking a ripe watermelon
Watermelons come in different sizes and shapes and weigh from 5 to 100 pounds. It is disappointng when you find out the watermelon you bought from the grocery store is unripe after spending all the time shopping and cutting that huge melon.
It is easy to buy a ripe watermelon if you are buying a melon that is already cut. Just make sure that the flesh is red and looks hard and crunchy.
It is tricky to pick a good watermelon if you are buying the whole fruit. Here are some tips you can use when you are selecting your watermelon at a supermarket.
1. mid-june to mid-August is the best time to buy watermelons. July is when the watermelons are at their ripest stage. Do not miss out on tasting watermelons in July.
2. Choose the biggest one possible.
3. Make sure the watermelon does not have any cuts,bruises, dents or soft spots..
4. Make sure there is a yellow spot on the watermelon. This is where the watermelon was sitting under the sun. If this spot is white or green, the watermelon is not ripe yet.
5. Don't forget watermelons are 80% water. So, pick the one that feels heavy for its size.
6. Knock on the melon with your knuckle. If it sounds hollow (by giving off a slight echo), it is ripe.
7. I like to eat them when they are slightly chilled that is when they taste best.
Go and buy a watermelon right now. Enjoy this summer with lots of watermelon in your diet!
Before consuimg, clean the whole watermelon by washing it in the sink with water and dry it with a clean towel. Cut it into small triangles, if you prefer.
Store uncut watermelon at room temperature to preserve freshness. It will stay freshand sweet for up to two weeks. In hot weather, use it within a week.
If the watermelon is cut into small pieces, refrigerate them in an airtight container, or wrap loosely with plastic. Consume within two days.