- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
How to Make Chicken Adobo with Potatoes
Chicken adobo - Filipino traditional food
As a Filipino, this is my favourite food, I like cooking. You can use chicken meat, pork meat, and beef as well. But personally, I prefer chicken and pork meat for this dish. Try all the three meats and see which you prefer. It is very simple food to prepare and maybe take an hour or less to cook and healthy to eat as well. Ideally, Adobo should be cooked in low heat for an hour or so but nowadays time is so precious so we can't be waiting that long and if we are hungry we can't wait for it to cook for more than an hour or so. I think it will taste much better if cooked slowly or if it takes longer to simmer. It still taste delicious for me.
How to cook adobo with potatoes
Chicken adobo Recipe
Chicken adobo Ingredients
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces as you like
- 4 or 5 pieces garlic, flattened and skin off
- 10 pieces or more black peppercorns, left as whole
- 1 spoonful white malt vinegar, to be added last
- 7 or 8 pieces cut into half potatoes
- a cup of dark or light soy sauce
- 5 or 6 cups water, or add more if not enough
- 2 spoonful vegetable or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon or as you like salt
How to cook chicken adobo
- Wash the chicken and cut it into small pieces as you like. Then peel the potatoes and slice them into half or as you wish. Flatten the garlic pieces with the use of a flat spatula.
- Start the cooking by putting some vegetable oil in a saucepan then add the garlic, stirring until the garlic turns brown a little then add chicken pieces, whole peppercorns and sliced potatoes. Add enough water to cover the chicken and potatoes and let it cook stirring once and a while. It takes about an hour to cook at least.
- When the chicken meat and potatoes are tender add the soy sauce, salt and add malt vinegar(this is optional, try it first if you like) and then lower the setting of your cooker. Leave it to cook more. After 10 minutes your adobo is ready to eat. Taste it if it needs more soy sauce you can add some more.
- Adobo is usually accompanied with rice but if you prefer you can eat it with the potatoes already with the adobo. Just add some separate cooked vegetables.
- While the chicken is cooking, cook the rice in another saucepan about 7 or 8 cups. Wash the rice, then flatten it by your hand at the bottom of the saucepan.Then measure how deep the rice is from the bottom of the saucepan by using your 4 fingers dipped then your big thumb to determine how deep the rice is then lift your fingers, put it at the level of the rice then add water to the same level. If the level of rice is two inches from bottom of saucepan then add same amount of water on top.
- Cook vegetables separately if you like, any veg that you fancy.
You don't have to use a whole chicken at all , you can use chicken drumsticks, thighs, wings, the breasts or the bony parts of the chicken. Especially if you are just cooking for one or two people.