- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
How to cook Vietnamese chicken congee
Congee is a nostalgic food to me, I remember how mum used to cook it every time we caught cold. Being Asian, we believe that sick body is weak so needs digestible and metabolism boosting food. Congee has always been the first option comes to our mind. Chicken congee or any, all ingredients are mixed then simmer for hours to release nutritions into the broth and you can just “drink to health”.
We are likely to cook it when we feel unwell but also as a treat to “escape” the rice routine; Soon you'll be back and love rice even more.
1/3 cup sticky rice, washed
1 cup jasmine rice, washed
a whole chicken
Salt, sugar, fish sauce to taste
Toasted black pepper, freshly ground
Scallion and perilla leaves, thinly sliced
- place chicken into a large pot, add sticky rice, jasmine rice and a tbsp salt, cover with water and bring to rolling boil, skim and scums that raises. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours, add cold water as the water level reduces but do not stir. After 2-3 hours, get rid of chicken bone and flake chicken meat, add salt and sugar to taste.
- In a serving bowl, place scallion and perilla on the bottom then pour the hot congee over. Serve with freshly ground black pepper and fish sauce.
- Brown rice before cooking give congee a distinct flavour
- Another way of cooking and serving congee: Remove just cooked chicken, flake its meat and put the bone back to the congee pot, marinate the chicken meat with pepper, salt and fresh lime/lemon juice. spoon on top of the congee bowl when serving.
- Scallion and perilla are warming herb which is release cold and balance circulatory.