How to cook delicious Moong Dal Chingri
Moong Dal Chingri
Moong Dal Chingri is one of the famous recipes of Indian Bengali Kitchen. It is prepared with moong dal / split green gram and prawns. Wondering about the word Chingri? Well here is the answer, prawns are also known as Chingri in Bengali. Hence, the name chingri I have used for the recipe as well. However dear friends, the recipe really tastes good. It can be enjoyed with roti or rice.
Ingredients required to cook Moong Dal Chingri :
- 1 kg Prawn (cleaned, deveined but with the tail)
- 500 grams Moong Dal / Split Green Gram
- 50 gram Ginger Chopped
- 50 gram Garlic Chopped
- 3 Onions Chopped
- 2 Tomatos Chopped
- 3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Cardamom pods
- 4 dried red chilies
- ½ Tbs Chilly powder
- 1 Tbs Sugar
- 1 cup Mustard oil
- ½ Tbs Turmeric powder
- Salt to Taste
- Few Coriander leaves to garnish
Method of Cooking Moong Dal Chingri :
- Boil the Dal in sufficient water so that it gets cooked to thick consistency and then keep it aside.
- Heat a deep pan and mix salt to the prawns and fry them for 3 minutes.
- Remove the prawns from the heated oil and keep it aside.
- Add the Cinnamon Sticks, Cardamom, Dried red chilies, chopped ginger, chopped garlic, onions, turmeric powder, salt, sugar and chili powder to the oil and stir them for few minutes till the onions changes its color.
- Add the tomatoes to it and stir them all for some time.
- Now add the boiled dal to it and stir.
- Now add the fried prawns to the dal and stir for another five more minutes.
- Delicious Dal Chinghree is now ready. Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.