- Food and Cooking
How to deep fry a Mars bar
This super treat has a reputation of being in a league of its own. With a reasonable 400 calories ( equivalent to 3 slices of pizza or 120 grapes) but high fat and sugar levels. This should be a very rare treat. But of course by combining a deep frying with a chocolate favorite creates a crazily good tasting desert. a mix of soft sweet batter and warm caramel chocolate is enough to make anyone's mouth water.
If you can't find a mars bar an equivalent would be a milky way bar - normal or caramel.
- Up to 4 Mars bars / chocolate bars, when making more than 4 double of triple recipe
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1 egg
- 130ml or half a cup Milk
- 2 tbl spoons fine white caster sugar
- cooking oil, I used sunflower oil
Tall pan - large enough to fit in your chocolate bar.
Tongs - a lot easier than using your hands although, spearing the bar with a kebab stick is another method.
Medium to small sized bowl.
Note: When cleaning up do not tip hot oil down the sink.
- Place mars bars in freezer for 10 minutes or more.
- While the mars bar(s) are cooling,mix flour, egg, sugar and milk in a bowl into a smooth batter.
- Remove chocolate/candy bars form the freezer and using tongs cover the chocolate in batter.
- With a tall pan (preferably small to save oil but still big enough for your mars bar), fill with oil to about a depth of 5cm - 2 inches.
- Put the pan on a medium heat (if the oil is bubbling or smoking it is two hot).
- Once the oil is hot, use tongs to place the mars bars into the pan (fully submerging them)
- After about a minute or less if it starts to burn take your now deep fried chocolate bar out. letting the oil drip of as you do so.
- Put on a plate and enjoy!