How to make fried tortillas at home / How to fry flour tortilla chips at home
- Vegetable oil
- 1 package Flour tortillas, Burrito size
- In a large tall-sided non-stick frying pan, pour approximately 1 inch of vegetable oil.
- Heat the oil over medium heat before adding the tortillas. While you're waiting for the oil to heat, cut your large flour tortillas into 4's and set aside.
- Test to see if the oil is hot enough by ripping off a tiny piece of tortilla and dropping it into the oil (it should start bubbling lightly). Once the oil is hot, add tortilla chips in 3's or 4's (don't overcrowd the pan). When you put them in, they will start to poof up and brown up; flip them occasionally using metal tongs until brown and crispy. Set them on a plate with paper towels to soak up the excess grease. (Remember to take the pan off the heat and turn it off for safety when you're finished.)
- 4 tortilla chips take about 3 minutes to cook completely-- but the longer you cook the tortillas, the more crispy and delicious they will be.) Continue to cook tortillas in batches of 3 or 4, until you have your desired amount-- but since they are so substantially sized, 4 chips makes one plate full of nachos for one person. (Cook more, if desired, for your family or for seconds and thirds-- trust me, you'll want to.)
- Check out my homemade cheese sauce recipe for topping
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 10 min
Ready in: 15 min