How to Grill at Your Next Summer BBQ
Summer means hot days, long road trips, and good old fashioned BBQ. Nothing beats a nice summer day like a big burger and some potato salad. Pair it with a good beer and you have just had the perfect day. The only issue is, where do you start? This is not an article about how to physically BBQ, but what you should have at a BBQ. Some people may throw some frozen burgers on the grill and call it a BBQ, but that is super lazy. I am going to guide you on what foods you should have at your next BBQ to ensure the perfect summer day.
The first thing is going to be your burgers. The most important thing at a BBQ is the cheeseburger. It is super easy to mess up, so listen up. Do not buy frozen burgers and call it a day. These burgers lack the taste that fresh meat provides. In order to serve the best burgers at your BBQ follow these steps.
- Buy the fresh beef. It first depends on how many people you have, but the rule of thumb is 4 burgers per pound of beef. I personally like to use 80/20 beef because it keeps some of the fatty flavors that the leaner burgers lack
- Add the beef to a bowl and add seasoning. Onion Powder, garlic, Chipotle hot sauce (or any hot sauce at that), breadcrumbs, and salt & pepper are perfect. Mix the ingredients and form the big ball into smaller spheres. Smash the spheres into burger shapes and you're good to go
- Add your burger to a medium hot grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side (depends on the thickness of your burger)
- Add cheese
- Serve with delicious toppings
Congratulations! you have just looked at the perfect burger recipe for your next BBQ. This recipe beats the frozen patties and adds a flavor everyone around you will love.
Some people choose not to eat beef, so supplying them with chicken is the next best thing. This recipe is super simple and only takes a few steps. it is important to have multiple types of meat at your BBQ so read up on this grilled chicken recipe
- Buy a pack of fresh chicken breasts at your local grocery store. Again, stay away from frozen food because it lacks the flavors fresh foods have.
- Take these 1 pound breasts and cut them in a butterfly typed shape. The chicken should now look like a heart. Cut the chicken fully and you have two pieces of chicken to grill.
- Rub hot sauce, salt, pepper, onion & garlic powder to your chicken
- Grill for 3-4 minutes per side
That was super simple. Chicken is one of the easiest meats to cook. It's all about what you season your chicken with to get the best outcome.
No need for a recipe here. Just going to tell you to buy a pack of hot dogs, and throw them on the grill. No BBQ is complete without some hot dogs
Onion & Potato Casserole
This amazing side dish is a potato and onion casserole, if you will. It's super delicious and is really easy to make. Here are the ingredients and the directions for this amazing meal.
- 5 Large Potatoes (cut into slices)
- 1 Large Onion (2 if you love sauteed onions, cut into slices)
- 2 Tablespoons Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 1 Stick Of Butter
- Salt & Pepper
The ingredients are super simple, especially because most people already have salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and butter.
- First line up two long sheets of aluminum foil into a plus symbol. Then add one layer of your sliced potatoes into the center of your plus sign
- Next add a layer of sliced onions on top of your potatoes
- Now use season your first layer of potatoes and onions with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and red pepper flakes
- Add slices of butter onto your first layer
- Repeat steps 1-4 until you have three layers of the potatoes and onions
- Fold up your plus signs to create a package of potatoes and onions
- Add additional aluminum foil to ensure there are no spills
- Add to the grill for 40 minutes on each side (80 minutes total)
The meal is super simple and delicious. It goes great with BBQ and you will love it as much as I do.
Corn on the cob is a must at BBQs. The corn adds a sweetness to that salty bite of meat, and your BBQ would be lacking without it.
- Pull the outer husks down the ear to the base. Strip away the silk from each ear of corn by hand. Fold husks back into place, and place the ears of corn in a large bowl of cold water with 1 tablespoon of salt for 10 minutes.
- Remove corn from water and shake off excess. Place the corn on the grill, close the cover and grill for 15 to 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes, or until kernels are tender when pierced with a paring knife. Remove the husks and eat on the cob or remove the kernels.
- Add butter
Corn is really simple to make, and only costs about a quarter (depending where you live)
A lot of people go wrong during this step of the BBQ process. Simply buying ketchup and mustard is not enough. Pairing your burger or hot dog with the perfect condiment can make or break your BBQ.
When it comes to cheeseburgers, buy a variety of cheeses. Normal cheddar cheese is great, but that's super original. Buy some pepper jack for some spice, or blue cheese for some added saltiness. Obviously buy onions, tomatoes and lettuce, but also bring some pickles. Want to add some extra flavor to the burger, buy some guacamole! Also, when has bacon ever ruined something, add pieces of bacon to your burger to fully complete your meal
Chicken is usually eaten alone, but it can't hurt to add some options. Cut up some tomatoes or jalapenos to add to the top of your chicken
Hot dogs can benefit from pickles, sport peppers, tomatoes, mustard and onions (yes I'm from Chicago).
Don't forget the alcohol. Don't mess around with that cheap Busch Light Beer, buy some higher quality beer like Spotted Cow. If beer isn't your thing, Buy some margaritas, or vodka to mix with lemonade. The possibilities are endless, but always pair your BBQ food with some alcohol.