How to make Chocolate Truffles and Painted Chocolates
Easy Chocolate Truffles and Painted Chocolate Moulds
This is a simple recipe that can be flavoured up with a liquer of your choice or simply use vanilla, mint or orange flavouring. Delicious and fun to make - perfect as a gift for family and friends or as a treat for visitors. Ensure that you use quality chooclate that does not contain glucose syrup and has not been cross contaminated for wheat and gluten free diets and celiacs.
Cook Time and setting for ganache
Ingredients for ganache (truffle filling)
- 1-1/2 pounds dark chocolate*, cut into pieces or use good quality chips
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsps vanilla extract or liquer such as Baileys, or Cointreau
- Allergy alert... *Note some chocolate is prepared in an environment that contains wheat and or nuts.
- Melt slowly half chocolate pieces or chips in heavy pan and stir constantly or microwave for 30 second intervals and stir. Add unmelted chocolate and stir in until all the chocolate is melted together. Stir in cream. Do NOT let water touch the chocolate at any point in the process.
- Divide ganache into bowls and add flavourings. Place in freezer for 1 to 1 and 1/2hours. When hard but not completely set roll into bite size balls and dip into melted white, milk or dark chocolate. Coat the ball using a spoon or roll in icing surgar, coco powder, coconut or nuts. Place truffles in mini papers and keep in refridgerator or freezer until ready to serve or gift.
- Please note it is preferable to work in a cool environment so that chocolate performs optimally.
Painted Chocolate Moulds and Lollipops
Chocolate moulds make an attractive gift. Purchase candy melts (available at Michaels http://michaels.com/ or cake decorating specialists) in different colours. Melt a few wafers and paint on the inside of the moulds with a small clean brush as desired. Pour in melted milk, dark or white chocolate and set in refridgerator. Chocolate Moulds pop out easily onto wax paper when chocolate is set.