- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
How To Make Caramel Slice With A Caramel Slice Recipe
Treat time: Chocolate Caramel Slice
Rate this Chocolate Caramel Recipe
Celebrate a special moment with these delicious Chocolate Caramel Slices. This recipe is quick and easy to follow and is broken down into 3 stages: the base, the caramel and finally the chocolate topping.
Our top tips:
- Use good quality chocolate for the topping with at least 70% cocoa. If you choose a cheap and inferior chocolate, it will be resulted in the end result.
- For cutting the slices, it is very important that you use a hot knife as it will prevent the chocolate topping from cracking.
- Avoid microwaving the chocolate to melt it. It will be quicker but the chocolate can easily burn.
- Enjoy your Chocolate Caramel Slice with a coffee =)
Delicious Chocolate caramel slice
Ingredients to make your Chocolate Caramel Slices
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1 cup Desiccated coconut
- 125 grams Butter, (Melted)
- 2 tins Condensed milk, (2 x 395g tins)
- 65 grams Butter
- 2 tablespoons Golden Syrup
- 250 grams Milk or dark chocolate
- 1 cup cream
Instructions for Chocolate Caramel Slice Recipe:
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (approximately 160 degrees Celsius for a fan-forced oven).
- BASE: Line a 16cm x 26 slice tin with baking paper ensuring that there is a 2cm overhang. This is important in ensuring that the base and caramel do not touch the tin directly and burn or get stuck.
- Combine the dry ingredients: flour, brown sugar and coconut in a bowl. Add melted butter and combine gently until it all comes together and starts to form a crumbly mixture.
- Press mixture firmly and evenly into slice tin ensuring that it spreads to all four corners.
- Bake for base in the oven for 10 mins until golden brown.
- CARAMEL CENTRE: Combine the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter in a medium saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until the butter has melted. Bring to the boil and try to allow the caramel to continue to boil for at least one minute. The longer you can do this, the better the caramel will taste.
- Pour the sticky hot caramel over the cooled base and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes baking time. The caramel will continue to boil, thicken and evenly set. Once the caramel layer has set, allow it to cool completely on the kitchen bench.
- CHOCOLATE TOPPING: Melt milk or dark chocolate over hot water and keep mixing to allow an even consistency.
- Mix the melted chocolate with the cream.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the caramel layer of the slice. Carefully tilt the tin from side to side to ensure the caramel is completely covered with chocolate.
- Place the slice in the fridge and allow to chill for at least three hours.
- CUTTING THE SLICES: Remove your chocolate caramel slice from the fridge.
- Run a hot knife along all your fours of your slice (inside the baking paper) and using the baking paper flaps, lift the slice away from the tin.
- Run a calving knife under hot water, dry it off with a towel and begin to slice into even pieces.
- Keep chocolate caramel slice refrigerated. Lasts one week in the refrigerator (if you can manage not to finish it all).