- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
How to make Crispy Vegetable Samosa Indian Style Snacks Recipe
Crispy Vegetable Samosa
Crispy Vegetable Samosa
Crispy Vegetable Samosa is a good starter or snacks recipe to cook. Recipe is almost prepared across all states of India, though there might be little difference in the way they make it. Our recipe is focused on how to cook Crispy Vegetable Samosa in South Indian Tamilnadu style.
- 11/2 Cup All Purpose Flour, (also called as Maida)
- 1/2 Cup Wheat Flour
- Refined Oil, (as required)
- 2 Big Onion, (finely chopped)
- 1 Tomato, (finely chopped)
- 1 Carrot, (finely chopped into very small pieces)
- ½ cup Fresh green peas
- 1 Potatoes, (boiled and smashed)
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon Chat masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon Ginger–Garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon Fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 Red chilies, (chopped)
- A pinch Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Bengal gram
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves
There are three basic process involved in preparing Crispy Vegetable Samosa.
1) How to make basic vegetable masala
2) How to make the cone for Samosa outer layer
3) Frying the samosa
How to make basic vegetable masala
- In a frying pan, pour 2 tablespoon oil and wait till it gets heated.
- When the oil is hot, put the mustard seeds in the oil and allow them to crackle.
- Add Bengal gram in the same oil; and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Then add the red chillies, fennel seeds and fry for few seconds.
- Now put the chopped onions and fry till onions become golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry along with the onions till the raw smell goes.
- Put the chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes get smashed with the fried onions.
- Then add the chopped carrot, peas and fry along with them.
- Put the chilli powder, chat masala powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt and stir along with the onions.
- Cook in a medium flame. Drizzle little water on the cooking vegetables so that they can cook well.
- When you find the vegetables in the pan got cooked, add cooked and smashed potatoes, coriander leaves and mix well with the cooking ingredients.
- When the potatoes are mixed well in masala, switch off the flame and place the Vegetable masala in a separate bowl.
- Note: Check the taste of the masala before you proceed. If required add spice & salt as per your needs.
How to make the cone for Samosa outer layer
- Take All purpose flour, wheat flour in a bowl, with 3 tablespoon of Oil. Add a pinch of salt for taste.
- Prepare a big dough by gradually sprinkling water. Allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes.
- Prepare small balls out of that big dough, as shown in picture.
- Take one ball and press it to become thin layer, apply wheat flour little now and then for a non sticky pressing . Press the ball till they become like a thin layer or sheet.
- Ensure to make the thin dough in round shape. Here I have taken an equal size plate and placed it on the thin dough. Using the knife I marked a circle on the thin dough. When you take the plate out, you can find round and thin layer of dough.
- Light heat the dosa tawa or pan for few minutes and warm a dough thin sheets in the tawa for few seconds(This is to remove the moisture content out of the dough)
- Cut the dough sheet into four equal parts as shown in picture below.
- Take 2 tablespoon of All purpose flour and mix little bit of water to make it into a paste
- Keep the sharp edge of the sheet facing yourself and the curved edge of sheet facing the opposite direction
- Fold the left side of the sheet to the center as shown in picture. Use the All purpose flour paste to glue the folds
- Now fold the right edge to the centre. Use the All purpose flour paste to glue the fold as shown in image.
- Stuff the cone with the vegetable masala.
- Close the open edge of the sheet using the all purpose flour paste.
- Prepare each samosa using the technique explained above and keep them ready to be fried. Now the samosas are ready for frying.
Frying the samosa
1. Take a frying pan and pour required quantity of oil for frying.
2. When the oil is hot, put samosa pieces one by one inside the oil and fry the pieces till they become golden brown.
3. Crispy Vegetable samosa is ready to serve. Serve hot with tomato ketchup and green coriander sauce or chutney.
© 2013 Ravi and Swastha