- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Vegetable Ingredients
How to make Cuban Black Beans and Rice
It ain't a Cuban dish if it doesn't have rice and beans in it. In the Cuban culture, this is often called Arroz con Congri. If your looking for comfort food or just a traditional Cuban meal this is it!
- 2 cups rice, uncooked
- 1/2 pound black beans, dried
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth, optional
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, optional
- olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- In a pot add black beans and cover with water. You can boil them for faster cooking or just cook them on low for a few hours until tender.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and drain uncooked rice and set aside.
- In a skillet add olive oil and sauté the onions and green peppers on medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for another minute and set aside.
- Poor 2 cups of the uncooked rice in a oven baking pan and mix 4 cups of cooked black beans and its stock. Add the vegetables that were sautéed, bay leaf, chicken stock, vegetable stock, oregano, turmeric, ginger, cumin, cilantro, sea salt, and pepper to taste. Cover with aluminum paper and cook in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 1 hour. Then mix rice and beans and cover and cook for another 15 minutes. Then cook uncovered in the oven for 10 minutes. Take out of oven and drizzle olive oil on top of the rice and beans for the finishing touch ;)