- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Herbs & Spices
How to make Fish Balls Curry the Indian Way
Fish Ball Curry
I’m not a great cook. But I’m compelled by circumstances to try new non vegetarian dishes, since my hubby and son love non vegetarian food. My husband himself is a good cook, not a professional one, J. I had been looking for a new recipe to try out. It was today morning, I came across this recipe from the leading Malayalam women’s magazine, Vanitha. It was my son’s birthday too. I planned to make this dish. I’m a lazy gal (only when it comes to cooking,J). But today morning, I had to make something special.
One might fee that making the fish balls curry is a very difficult and involves lot of effort. But believe me, it is worth the effort. This is that kind of a dish which we make during special occasions.
• 1 cup Fish meat (with bones removed after steaming).
• Potatoes – 2 medium
• 2 tbspn cooking oil
• 2 large finely chopped onions
• 1 tbspn chopped ginger
• 1/2 tbspn chopped green chillies
• 1 egg (yolk and white separated)
• Bread crumbs ½ - 1 cup
• 1 tbspn chopped onions
• 2 tspn chopped ginger
• 1 tbspn chopped garlic
• 2 tspn chili powder
• 1 cup fish stock
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
• Salt (to taste)
• 2 tsp Cornstarch
Clean the fish and cook it in microwave covered with aluminum foil. I added a pinch of turmeric before cooking. Cook at high for 10 minutes. Remove and cool it. After cooling, separate the bones from the meat and keep it aside. Save the stock for later use. If required, grind the fish very finely in a food processor. I just mashed it with hand.
Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker. Cool it and after peeling it, mash them and keep it aside.
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non-sticky pan. Stir fry onions, ginger and green chillies until golden, on medium heat. Add fish and mashed potato to it and mix well. Remove from heat. Add egg yolk and mix well using hand. Take a spoonful of this fish- potato mixture and make small balls of lemon size. You might get approximately 20 fish balls from this mixture. If you do not require that much quantity, half the recipes and try them. Dip these balls in beaten egg white and roll into bread crumbs. I always keep the bread crumbs ready from bread leftovers from sandwich.
Heat the remaining oil in a separate frying pan and fry the fish balls on medium-low heat, until golden brown. Remove and place on a platter.
Heat one spoon oil in another pan and add the remaining onion, ginger, garlic and chili powder and stir well. Cook until golden brown on low heat. Add 1 cup of fish stock and cook until well blended. Add the sauces and mix well. Mix the corn flour in water and add it to the boiling curry. When it starts to thicken, add the fried fish balls. Cover and cook on low heat for 5-10 minutes. If you like it spicier, you can add a dash of chili oil to the fish balls at the end. Serve hot with your choice of bread or boiled rice or noodles.
I served the fish balls curry with vegetable pulao.
- Instead of rolling over bread crumbs, can also roll over corn starch.
- Merely adding soya sauce will suffice.
- You can boil the potatoes and the fish together in microwave or pressure cooker, as per your convenience to same time and effort.
- Can use fish with no bones to avoid effort of removing the bones.
- You can avoid the sauces and instead add garam masala and add tomato puree to make the curry.
- Replace the Indian spices with sauces and you get a Chinese or Hong Kong style fish ball curry.
- Instead of red, dry spices, try adding fresh, green spices like green chillies and you get another type of curry.
- Those who prefer vegetarian dish can substitute fish with a vegetable mix of your choice and make a vegetarian version of the kofta curry.
Best Fish to Make Fish Balls
One has to use the right kind of fish to make the fish balls. I'm not scaring you by this statement. The experts always stick on to this principle while making this curry. I'm not that particular about this. I just purchase the kind of fish that is available in the market. Just remember the thumb rule that lesser the bones, the better.
There are several varieties of fish that can be used to make the fish balls curry or fish kofta curry. The best or the tastiest varieties that can be used for making your fish balls are some deep sea fishes like mackerels, fillets, tofu fish, barracuda.