- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- South Asian Cuisine
How to Make Chickpeas From Scratch
Hello, this is living with pulmonary hypertension since 2004(livingpah2004) and today I am going to make garbanzo beans. Garbanzo beans are cream color, resemble to hazelnut in appearance, have a nutty flavor and slightly crunchy in texture. Cooked and spicy Garbanzo beans goes well with fried tortilla, bhature, rice, naan, roti or pulav. This is one of the main dish in Indian restaurants, parties and even at homes.This is very healthy, delicious and easy to make.
You Will Need These Ingredients:
- Three cups of garbanzo beans
- Two teabags to give the black color
- Four to five tablespoons of grape seed oil
- One spoon of zeera or cumin seeds
- Three small tomatoes, chopped
- Two green chili cut in small pieces to your taste
- Small piece of fresh ginger
- Two small size of onion chopped (to make a paste)
- Three clove of garlic (to make a paste)
- One tablespoon shredded ginger (to make a paste)
- One spoon dry coriander powder
- One spoon black pepper ( for paste)
- One teaspoon salt to taste
- One teaspoon black salt
- One teaspoon chole masala
- One teaspoon dried mango powder
- Two pieces of way leaves
- One bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- Boil eight cups of water with tea bag for 3 minutes. after it starts to boil turn off the heat
- Discard the tea bag and keep tea water aside.
- In the mean time wash chickpeas or garbanzo beans and soak in tea water for overnight.
- In pressure cooker add Garbanzo beans with the tea water they were soaked in, salt,black elaichi or cardamom.
- Cook on medium heat, when the cooker starts making steam turn the heat down to low and cook ten minutes for the better result.
- Do not overcook otherwise it will end up like a starchy paste.
7. Turn off the heat and check if garbanzo beans are cooked
8. Blend ginger,green chili, onion, garlic, black pepper, tomato and coriander seed to make a paste.
9. In a separate pan heat oil. Add cumin seeds and bay leaves and cook 1 minute. Add coriander powder, black pepper, onion and tomato paste. Cook few more minutes until the mixture turns in to golden brown color.
10. Add dry chole masala, and mango powder.
11. Add cooked garbanzo beans in the pan and mix well for 2 minutes
12. Mash some of the garbanzo beans by pressing it with a spatula to give it a thick consistency like a thick cream. Add salt and chili pepper according to your taste. If you like this to be more sour then add more dried mango powder.
13. Let it bring to a boil and then let it simmer for 10-15 minutes with the lid covered.
14. Cholas will be ready in 15 minutes, Need to stirring in between. If the garbanzo beans looks too thick then add some water.
15. You can garnish with onion,green chili and cilantro.
16. Red onions soaked in vinegar are an excellent accompaniment with garbanzo beans or chole.
Do you always wonder why the cholas you eat at restaurant have slightly blackish color?
Here is how you can achieve this at home:
First thing is to use tea bag like I used in the recipe.
Amla also gives chole a black color
Use Tamarind paste.
Add 2-3 drops of soy sauce while you finished the cooking.
Prepare your own chole masala at home with these following ingredients and roast them till they start getting burnt.
Dry Ingredients for chole masala: 6 piece clove, 1 piece cinnamon, one spoon black pepper, 1 spoon cumin,one spoon dried coriander seeds, two spoon anardana, big cardamom, nutmeg.
Interesting Facts about Garbanzo Beans
Garbanzo beans contain 12.5 g of fiber per 1-cup serving, and this fiber contributes satiety, or the feeling of fullness after eating. Research published in the April 2010 issue of the medical journal "Appetite" indicates that study participants who consumed garbanzo beans over a 12 week period ate less food, particularly cereals. Participants said their bowel function improved as well. After the garbanzo portion of the study ended, participants appeared to consume a higher amount of processed snack foods.
You may like these Hubs also:
- Fat Free Cauliflower Burrito – Simple and Tasty
Try this fat free delicious cauliflower burrito,an easy to make and full of nutritious ingredients.
- How to Cook Red Cargo Rice and Kidney Beans - A Comp...
Kidney beans and red Basmati rice are complete balanced meal to cook for lunch or diner.Learn how to cook these in easy steps.
- How Easy and Simple is to Make Batura or Fried Bread...
Learn how to make Bhature from scratch. A great mouth watering dish, easy to make at home.
- Healthy Cabbage Recipe with Steamed Rice
Learn how to make healthy cabbage recipe. This is also a good way to help me out to release my stress of dealing pulmonary hypertension by cooking different recipes everyday. See how I do it.
- How to Make Aloo ka Parantha and Eggplant Bhartha
Mouth watering and soft aloo ka paratha with baigan or eggplant bhartha. Simple to make and double in taste.
- How to Cook Delicious Lunch and your own Tortilla at...
Pulmonary hypertension condition is not going to stop me for cooking lunch, steamed rice and home made tortilla. See how I manage it through cooking.