Method for preparing Jollof Rice :Preparation of an African Recipe
How to cook Jollof rice
How to prepare Jollof Rice
Most of the time, I have my friends comes for dinner, I always love to include Jollof rice on my menu because I noticed that they usually love it. Jollof rice is a popular West Africa recipe that is made of rice, tomato puree and other ingredients. Different people use different method of preparation. I will explain a method which I use regularly and I guess you can try it at home. Though cooking is all about creativity, so no matter any ways in preparing your meal, the most important thing is to come up with the menu you enjoy.
We will need the following ingredients to prepare jollof rice for four adults.
- 2 cups of long grain rice, please avoid easy cook rice.
- A canned tin of plum tomatoes (you can use any chopped or plum tomatoes)
- I bell pepper
- Half chilli pepper (common in the Africa or Asian stores)
- A bulb of onion
- Two tablespoon of Vegetable oil/ olive oil
- 1 spoonful of margarine
- Salt to taste
- Thyme, Curry powder and Bay leave for flavour
- Chicken stock
- I cube of Maggi (usually sold in Africa store)
- 4 pieces of chicken
- Browned chopped Liver/kidney (optional)
- Blend your tomato, onion, bell pepper and chilli pepper in a blender to a smooth paste.
- Place your pot on a high heat cooker.
- Pour 2 tablespoon of oil and tablespoon full of margarine into the hot pot to be heated.
- Pour your blended paste into the pot.
- Add Curry, Thyme, Bay leave, I cube of maggi to the blended paste.
- Add a cup of chicken stock and cover the pot for 10minutes allowing the paste to become thicker
- Wash your rice to reduce the starch as much as you can.
- Pour your rice into the paste and stir to make sure the liquid covers the rice.
- Add your brown chopped liver/kidney
- Cover your pot and let it cook for 15minutes under low to medium heat.
- Check the rice for salt and add to taste.
- By now, the liquid would have soaked your rice, so check if your rice needs water, add little water without stirring.
- Let it cook for another 15 minutes.
- Check to see if your rice is soft, crispy but not soggy.
- Turn off the heat, stir and allow to simmer for 5minutes.
Serve with fried chicken and plantain
Plantain is optional (will write about plaintain in another hub)