- Food and Cooking
How to make Kala Chana or Black Gram
Kala Chana Recipe
Hello, this is living with pulmonary hypertension since 2004 and today I am making kala chana. The spicy Kala Chana or black gram is a very popular dish in North India. People usually eat it in the month of the March during the celebration of Navaratri festival with plain puree.This can be eaten as a snack with hot tea. Black gram or Kala chana is very nutritious and rich in protein, low in cholesterol, low in fat and high in fiber which makes it a .and also good for heart healthy foodconstipation patients.
- 3 cup of black chana
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 medium tomatoes chopped (to make a paste)
- 1 green chili cut in small pieces, as per your taste
- 1 medium size of onion chopped (optional)
- 3 clove of garlic (optional)
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper seed( for paste)
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to the taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt
- 1 teaspoon chana masala
Cooking Time: 30 minutes.
Preparation Time; 30 minutes, soaking time excluded.
- Clean kala chana to remove any stones or debris and soak it for 4-5 hours in a big bowl.
- Boil In a pressure cooker, add more water as needed.
- Cook on high heat.
- the pressure cooker starts whistling turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Now close the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker. and check if kala chana is done.
- a. Blend ginger,green chili, onion, garlic, black pepper and coriander, cumin seed to make a paste. pour in a bowl. keep it separate.
- b. Add 2 spoon ready made store bought chana masala in a small bowl and 3-4 spoon water, make a paste.
- Use either a or b.
- Blend the tomatoes and keep it aside
- Add oil in the pan and when oil is hot add cumin seed. When cumin start cracking add onion and garlic paste or ready made chana masala. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, salt and mango powder. Stir it.
- Adjust salt and chile according to your taste.
- Add cooked black chana. Mix well.
- Cook on medium heat with lid on until chana soak all the water.
- Kala Chana will be ready to eat in as little as 10 minutes but for best result let it simmer for 20 minutes, stirring in between.
- Garnish chana with cilantro and red onion.
- Serve with plain puri.or eat as a snack.
More Simple and Easy Recipes of Kala Chana
- Combine soaked chana with fresh diced onions, minced cilantro, thinly chopped tomatoes, salt and lemon juice as a side dish or simple and easy snack or salad.
- Makes wonderful chana chaat by adding yogurt, chaat masala, salt, chopped onion,cilantro, papdi,sweet and sour tamarind chutney.
- Kala chana is very nutritious and use this to make curries, pakoras, soup and salad.
You May Like These Hubs:
- Fat Free Cauliflower Burrito – Simple and Tasty
Try this fat free delicious cauliflower burrito,an easy to make and full of nutritious ingredients.
- How to Cook Red Cargo Rice and Kidney Beans - A Comp...
Kidney beans and red Basmati rice are complete balanced meal to cook for lunch or diner.Learn how to cook these in easy steps.
- How Easy and Simple is to Make Batura or Fried Bread...
Learn how to make Bhature from scratch. A great mouth watering dish, easy to make at home.
- How to Make Aloo ka Parantha and Eggplant Bhartha
Mouth watering and soft aloo ka paratha with baigan or eggplant bhartha. Simple to make and double in taste.
- Healthy Cabbage Recipe with Steamed Rice
Learn how to make healthy cabbage recipe. This is also a good way to help me out to release my stress of dealing pulmonary hypertension by cooking different recipes everyday. See how I do it.
- How to Cook Delicious Lunch and your own Tortilla at...
Pulmonary hypertension condition is not going to stop me for cooking lunch, steamed rice and home made tortilla. See how I manage it through cooking.