How to make "Knafeh" a Middle Eastern Cheese Dessert
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 40 min
Ready in: 1 hour
Yields: Serves 10 people
- Half cup Butter, melted
- Bag of (Buy at Turkish shop) Phyllo dough, Shredded (using food processor)
- 1 Cup Ricotta Cheese, Mashed (together with Mozzarella)
- 2 Small bags Mozzarella Cheese, Mashed (together with Ricotta)
- 4 Tbsp Lyle's Golden Syrup (Tesco)
- Half cup Sugar
- Small amount Ground Pistachios for garnish
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit or 170 degrees Celsius.
- In a saucepan, add the butter until melted while you shred the Phyllo in your food processor or use the scissors to cut out small pieces.
- In a large bowl, add the shredded phyllo and melted butter and mix with your hands until the butter has completely covered all phyllo.
- In a small bowl, add all cheeses together and mix until incorporated.
- Take a rectangular oven pan and cover it using a brush with orange food colouring (to give it the nice orangey colour) then add half of the phyllo mixture into the pan then cover with the cheese mix then add the remaining phyllo mix on top while pressing it a little so it holds well together.
- Place pan in oven and cook at 400 degrees F or 200 Degrees C for 40 minutes or until golden brown from the top.
- While waiting for it to cook, in a small saucepan on medium heat add some boiling water about 1 cup, the sugar and the golden syrup and mix until all sugar has melted. Keep watching it until sauce has become thicker (otherwise add some more sugar).
- Remove from oven and let stand until cooled down then invert onto a plate, cut the pieces into your favourite shape then pour the Golden syrup sauce evenly and garnish with the ground pistachios as seen in the pictures.