- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
How to make Lemon Balm Jelly
Like it? Rate it!
You're going to love the fresh, lemony, minty flavor of this jelly.
It's marvellous on toast, in a peanut butter jelly sandwich, or on top of a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Lemon balm has been known to help with digestive problems, cramps, and anxiety, as well as being helpful for sufferers of depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder [SAD].
This is a delicious way to get all the benefits of this lovely herb!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup lemon balm leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 package pectin powder
- Chop lemon balm. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, and add the lemon balm. Let it steep for 20 minutes. Bring to a boil again, and let it sit for 10 more minutes.
- If you're going to preserve it rather than eating it fresh, begin to sterilize your canning jar.
- Strain the leaves from your lemon balm tea. Return the liquid to the stove and add pectin, sugar, and lemon juice. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Immediately pour what you want to preserve into sterilized jar and seal.
Set 2 cups of water to boil in a pot. Chop up 1 cup's worth of lemon balm, and add it to the water when it boils.
Turn the heat off and let it steep for 20 minutes, then bring it back to a boil, turn it off, and let it sit for ten more.
Strain out all the leaf and stem materials, and pour the liquid back into the pan.
If you mean to preserve it in a jar, start to sterilize your jar and lid now, by putting it in another pot, cover with water and bring it to a boil.
Take your lemon balm liquid, and add the lemon, the pectin, and the sugar. Stir it well, and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring the whole time. Boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
Use tongs to remove your jar from the hot water. Pour your jelly into it, screw the lids on, and set aside to cool.
It's lovely on toast, in peanut butter jelly sandwiches, spooned onto ice cream...just for a few ideas.
Jars full make beautiful gifts, as well!
You can make jelly from any kind of tea with the method above. It can make a very interesting change from the usual fruit jellies - give it a try!