How to make M'Judra
What is M'Judra?
- 8 ounces Brown Lentils
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Basmati Rice
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 cups Diced Onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin, OPTIONAL
- Place lentils, 4 & 1/2 cups water & 1 tsp salt in medium pot over high heat. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce to medium heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until tender. Drain lentils and reserve 1/2 cup liquid. Set pot aside for later use. (OPTIONAL) ** Place cooked lentils and reserved liquid into food processor and pulse until evenly ground. return to pot and set aside. **
- Place rice & 3/4 cup water in small pot over high heat, uncovered. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to med-low and simmer covered for 10 mins or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside.
- (OPTIONAL) **Add 1/2 tsp ground cumin to lentils**
- Line a plate with paper towels and set aside. Preheat 1/3 cup olive oil in medium skillet over med-high heat. Add onions and 3/4 tsp salt and saute until onions are evenly caramelized. Use slotted spoon to drain off and press out as much oil as possible, then spread evenly on towel lined plate.
- Set skillet over med-high heat and gradually add 1/2 cup water (it will splatter), followed by the cooked basmati rice. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until water is absorbed. Stir into lentils.
- Place mixture of lentils and onions over med-low heat and cook uncovered for 3-5 minutes, then stir in 1 TBS olive oil. Remove from heat.