- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to make Meen Kulambu or Spicy Fish Curry South Indian Tamilnadu style Recipe
Spicy and tasty fish curry
Spicy Fish Curry
This recipe is another healthy recipe for your family members. This dish has been prepared using Mackerel fish. Health benefits are as follows.
- Omega-3 fatty acids helps to prevent breast, renal, prostrate and colon cancers
- Several research has concluded that essential fatty acids reduce the risk of breast cancer
- Antioxidants in general, reduce the risk of some cancers
- Improves health of your cells
- Contains good amounts of vitamins B12 and selenium that is helpful in the treatment of cancer
- Fortifies the immune system
- Fish oil, Improves the blood condition which in turn is good for heart health
- Prevents the risk of Alzheimer's disease
- Essential fatty acids help to prevent problems of the central nervous system
Note: It's recommended, that pregnant woman shouldn't take Mackerel as elevated mercury levels in the fish could damage child's developing nervous system.
Ingredients for preparation:
- 6-7 Pieces, Mackerel fish, (wash with turmeric powder and salt and marinate with the same)
- 2 Big onion, (chopped)
- 1/2 Tomato (chopped)
- 5-10 grams or half inch of Tamarind, (soak in little water)
- 2 red chillies
- 2 tablespoon Sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Aniseeds or sombu(tamil)
- 5 Fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon Butter
- Salt as needed
- Coriander leaves
Ingredients List For grinding:
- 1/2 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 10 Small onion / sambar onion, (remove skin and chopped)
- 1/2 Tomato, (chopped)
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 2-3 Red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Aniseeds or sombu(tamil)
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 2 tablespoon Coriander powder
- Wash Mackerel fish pieces thoroughly with water for 2 to 3 times. Finally wash fish with lemon juice because it helps to remove stinky smell from the fish. Then marinate fish with a pinch of turmeric powder and little salt, set aside.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a pan, put small onion in the oil and fry for a minute in medium flame.
- Add all the ingredients one by one after few seconds, which are given in the list for grinding. Grind them to a fine paste and set aside.
- In a pan, add Sesame oil and put Mustard seeds and wait till it crackles.
- Add Fenugreek seeds, Cumin seeds, Aniseed, curry leaves, red chilies and fry for few minutes in medium flame.
- Put the chopped big onions in the same pan and fry till the onions become golden brown.
- Chopped tomatoes can be added in the same pan. Now fry them along with the onions and cook the tomatoes till they get smashed.
- At this stage add grinded paste, tamarind juice, salt in the pan and stir well. Add 1 cup of water and boil them with ingredients. Allow them to get heated for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add butter for good flavor and taste.
- Finally add fish pieces and cook for 5 minutes(expected time). If not cook until the fish is cooked and becomes a good gravy. Note: Don't stir the fish, as fish pieces might break.
- Switch off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with white rice.
- Note: You can add extra chili powder and salt depending on your taste. Any kind of fish can be cooked in this same kind of preparation.
© 2013 Ravi and Swastha