- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to make Palak Kofta Curry or Spinach Kofta Curry North Indian style Recipe
Palak Kofta Curry or Spinach Kofta Curry
This hub teaches you how to make Palak Kofta Curry or Spinach Kofta(dumpling) Curry North Indian style recipe. Spinach Kofta or Palak Kofta (dumpling) curry is another healthy recipe. Very delicious recipe your family will love to eat. Read and try it !
Before getting into the preparations, lets see the health benefit of Palak / Spinach.
Health benefits of Spinach are:
- Low in calories
- Very high in vitamins like vitamin K, vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6
- Good source of minerals like Phosphorus, Zinc, Dietary fiber, Copper, Magnesium, Folate, Manganese, Iron, Calcium, and Potassium
- Good source of Protein
- Good source of Selenium, Niacin, Omega-3 fatty acids
- Acts as good antioxidants
- Good for heart health
- Protects the cells of your body
- Anti-inflammatory benefits
- Protects against eye diseases like age-related cataracts and macular degeneration
Now let us get into preparation of Palak Curry or Spinach Kofta curry in North indian style.
Palak Kofta Curry or Spinach Kofta(dumpling) Curry
Ingredients to prepare kofta
- 350 grams Spinach (washed and chopped)
- 1 cup Gram flour
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1-2 Red or Green chillies (minced)
- ½ inch Ginger (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon Red chilli powder
Ingredients for Palak kofta Curry:
- 2 tablespoon Refined oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 pinch Asafotida
- 1 Big onion (finely chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 2-3 tablespoon Coriander leaves (chopped for garnishing)
Ingredients for Grinding:
- 3 Tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 Green or Red chillies (chopped)
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 tablespoon Cashew nuts
- In a Bowl put all the ingredients mentioned, to prepare kofta.
- Bind all the ingredients nicely to prepare batter for kofta.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil, while mixing all the ingredients. Water is not required as, spinach will ooze some moisture while smashing the ingredients.
- In an oven tray brush little oil, make small balls out of the kofta batter and place on the oven tray.
- Place the tray in the microwave oven for 5-6 minutes. Alternative method to prepare kofta is frying every kofta balls in the oil.
- Now let’s start to prepare palak kofta curry. In a blender put the ingredients mentioned for grinding. Grind to smooth paste.
- In a dry non-stick pan pour oil. When the oil is hot, put the cumin seeds, after few seconds; add asafoetida, onion and fry the onion till the onions become golden brown.
- When the onion turned light golden brown; add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder and mix well.
- Now pour the grind paste in the pan and saute. Close the pan with a lid and allow them to cook for 5-6 minutes.
- When the curry is done, pour 2 cup of water, salt, garam masala powder and allow to boil for another 5 minutes.
- Reduce the flame and finally put the prepared koftas and allow them to rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally garnish the curry with coriander leaves.
- Serve the tasty and healthy Palak kofta or Spinach kofta (dumpling) curry with roti, naan or rice
- Note: Less spice lovers, reduce the quantity of chili powder and red chilies. Add also 1 teaspoon of sugar while preparing the curry.
© 2014 Ravi and Swastha