- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques»
Spanakopita: How to make Spinach and Feta Pie
How to make Greek Spinach and Feta Pie
This hub aims to show you how to make your own Spinach and Feta pie, or what Greeks call ‘Spanakopita’. The name derives from the words 'spanaki' meaning spinach and 'pita' meaning pie. Spinach and Feta pie or in other words ‘Spanakopita’, is a traditional dish in Greece as well as in Cyprus.
It may be served as a starter, side dish, as a light breakfast or as a light lunch. It is not difficult to make and it tastes absolutely fantastic!
© All Rights Reserved - Chris Achilleos
- 250g Puff Pastry
- 250-300g Spinach leaves
- 200g Greek style Feta, Cut into cubes or crumbled
- 1 Large Onion, Grated
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon White Ground Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Dry Basil
- 1½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Lemon, Squeeze the juice
- 1 heaped full Tablespoon Breadcrumbs
- Place the spinach leaves in a saucepan and ad water
- Boil for approximately 15 minutes (gas mark 5)
- Drain the water
- Then place the spinach in a bowl. Add your grated onion, spices and lemon, olive oil and mix thoroughly.
- Allow this to cool down before adding the feta cubes.
- Add your feta and breadcrumbs while mixing (there shouldn't be any water in your mix so we add breadcrumbs to absorb any water in the filling)
- Roll the puff pastry to your required thickness on a lightly floured surface. Note that you will need to roll two sheets of pastry / one for the bottom of the pie and one for the top. For better results make the bottom layer thinner than the top layer
- Place the bottom layer of the pastry in a non-sticky oven pan
- Then place your spinach filling
- Cover it up with your top layer of pastry.
- Fold the edges of your pastry and using a fork slightly attach the edges together
- Preheat your oven to 190º
- Place your pie in the oven and leave until the color of the pastry is light golden brown and is thoroughly cooked.
- Take it out of the oven and allow the pie to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Ready to serve. Enjoy!
Other recipes by Chris Achilleos
Become an online writer and start earning money!
Do you have a passion for writing? Would you like to publish your work and start making your own income?
Then HubPages is the best place to start.
Click here to sign up now!
This is my own personal recipe. Therefore, it has not been copied from a cook book or any other source.
I hope you enjoy it!
© 2013 All Rights Reserved – Chris Achilleos